How to find out how many SAS Products are being used

Contributor

How to find out how many SAS Products are being used

Hello,

I'd like to know from several SAS Products, like Base SAS, SAS Graph, STAT, AF, ETS, QC, IML, OR, etc. etc. that what SAS Products are being used by which users ?  Is there any way that we can identify which SAS products are being used.

In addition, does SAS have any audit trail table to know what SAS procedures are being submitted by users and how much CPU and Memory are being consumed ?  Which procedure is taking time than others, which procedure is commonly used by the users than others, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

Paul

Super Contributor

Re: How to find out how many SAS Products are being used

The answer depends on whether SAS is installed on individual PCs or is on a server, with users connecting via SAS EG or other client tools.

If the installation is on a server, all users may have access to all products and it may be difficult to restrict access.  In any case, licensing will be on the server.

If installation is on individual machines then each one will have to be queried.  SAS Proc Setinit will list products installed.  To detect usage you will have to capture logs.

Richard

Super User

I think only if you're capturing the logs, and then you'd have to map the proc back to the package.

A customer survey is the typical way I've seen it done at the sites I've worked at.

Those would be the bare minimum

Base SAS, SAS Graph, STAT. plus Access to PC Files

Contributor

Thank you all !

My struggle is that I've numerous SAS modules but unsure who is using what.  If some modules are not being used, I don't need to pay license fee for those modules.

So wondering if the SAS is installed on a server what audit trails tables are created that I can access to find out these information ?

Super User

Also, if you have additional products such as SAS FORECAST OR EM or Fraud Analytics then you may need some of those other modules. 

Respected Advisor

Also bear in mind that most SAS licence agreements are negotiated as bundles so just trying to strip a few licences here and there won't get you anywhere. You will need to analyse how SAS is used in your organisation and what the future plans are. This is something your user base and the SAS sponsor/owner in your organisation need to tell you.

PROC Star

Here is one method you might be able to use: http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi29/215-29.pdf

However, like suggested, I'd also survey your users and any consultants they have hired to build modules for them. E.g., you may have some components that aren't being used (like AF), but will be needed if you have compiled AF modules that need to be re-compiled.

Valued Guide

SAS_1001  your goal for license cost optimization cannot be achieved thinking in analyzing logs. That is because:

- Al lot of things that are convered by a license cannot be seen in logs.

Arthur mentioned SAS/AF as example. There are many more: SAS/Connect SAS/Access (any dbms) AMO Eguide (any client).

- In the more modern approach contracts are based on solutiuons. That solutions are complete sets composed of a lot components (some to be added.

If you go buying a car you cannot negotiate for less cost when not needing standard delivered options. In contrary it is additional work to remove them.

Your question is a signal you are not having a real partnership with you SAS representatives.
To minimize your SAS usage and going for other alternatives you have to know how SAS is used functional. Within your organization there should be contact persons at the several user-groups. You should contact them.

Doing the Inventory on DBMS access should give your answers for SAS/Access (any dbms).  

For the sever-side processing you could use the logging features, there are many of them.

- Mainframe has the option to capture every user and their SAS-datastep SAS-proc usages (with product) in SMF-records.

- DI/BI Server usage (Unix/Windows) has a complete logging framework that can capture every action by users. Sample reports with the APM tooling. The event manager (9.4)  as a new name doing that also. All based on ARM-logging (log4j). SAS Audit, Performance and Measurement package

- SAS/Share the Spawner (connect) and SAS/intrenet (Web basic) have their own logging files.

- A central managed classic SAS environment (desktop/Server) can be tailored to use altlog (initstmt).

As process are run by users you must organize a shared storage location where all logging can be dropped by them.

- The only usage you cannot log easy are those standalone installations on desktops and laptops.

Plan to contact those people within 4-5 months before they are needing a new setinit/renewal for their local software.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Contributor

Great responses from all !

If we don't have the software 'SAS Audit, Performance and Measurement package' what other alternatives we may have to track Users SAS Usage on the Server keep in mind we have limited SAS Software (10-15 modules) but we don't have client server architecture and no BI and DI software are installed.  Users log on to Server and launch BASE SAS !

Valued Guide

If you have a server based installation Windows or Unix you still can use the ARM logging interface. SAS ARM Macros

With the termstmt initstmt SAS(R) 9.2 Language Reference: Dictionary, Fourth Edition you can collect statistics on the usage/sessions users.

Alternative you can use that mentioned altlog approach by changing the server side config. 

Super Contributor

Hi:

Best to talk to the server support people - they may have 3rd party tools that track who is running which programs / modules.  I know that on the

mainframe, there were tools that could tell who was running each of the SAS products.  I was once told that I was the ONLY person running SAS/STAT

and they were not going to renew the license.  Problem was the application was for a major system.

Valued Guide

Yes OS/2 for mainframe it is SMF based. With that you do measures to the visible actions (datastep and proc) as mentioned before.

z/OS is something that served as leading example for OS/2. What happened to OS/2 PS/2 can be an example for the future of z/OS.

Super Contributor

Actually, if I recall, OS/2 was developed by IBM and MICROSOFT.  And we mainframe dinosaurs will be around for a long time ....Smiley Wink

Valued Guide

@Os2rules, I got educated by mainframe usage, but did also the mickeysoft and -nix ones as more specialized with SAS as middleware in the infrastructure. It is killing for SAS when being seen as some other excel tool, many "architects" do that. As just a business thing to sole in the infrastructure not IT people allowed to involve. It was indeed both of them for OS/2 the Microsoft abandoned that deal the market did choose developing applications for their Windows product. IBM did not want any competitors in that OS/2 PS/2 token ring line and did their fight against the whole world, lost.  The high quality of the mainframe systems is still there, but getting diminishing. The 32-64 bit conversion is behind all others. No competitors being allowed by IBM, the story is looking to go repeat. http://diginomica.com/2014/03/05/death-mainframe/#.VDKT3KUcSUk . Call me a dinosaur no problem, I am a weird specie in that classification.      

Super User

It is tricky, there can be a single person running Proc Expand for example and that's the whole reason for ETS package. 

I really thing a Survey is the best way to go overall, since there really isn't a great way overall.I'm not fond of the SAS licensing method in it's entirely....but that's an old story.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 7 in conversation