BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
saiksrini
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, I have a large dataset in which i am trying to fill blanks in a particular column based on certain criteria.

My dataset looks like below.
Customer_Name         Degree Country
Steve                           MS       USA
Dan                              MA       CAN
Edward                        M.Tech USA
Emily MS -1st                           USA
John MBA - 2nd                       USA

If Degree variable has blanks, Customer_Name will have a reference to the degree in it.
So, i want to build a logic that If Degree is blank then search Customer_Name for 'MS' and create a new variable "Degree_mod" and fill "MS" in it. In the above table, Emily and John should have entries in the new variable. Somehow i am not able build it.
data work.Daily_dump;
set work.Daily_Dump;
Format Degree_Mod $15.;
if Degree =' ' then do;
if FINDW(Customer_Name, 'MS')>0 then do; Degree_Mod1="MS";
end;
I am not sure if my SAS code is correct here. Can you please help?

3 REPLIES 3
Astounding
PROC Star

I would try it this way:

if degree = ' ' then degree_mod1 = scan(name, -2, '- ');

Be sure to include both characters (dash and blank) as delimiters for the SCAN function.

Shmuel
Garnet | Level 18

@saiksrini, you wrote:   " Emily and John should have entries in the new variable. "

In your code you check for the value  "MS" but there is no "MS" in John's line but "MBA".

@Astounding proposed using SCAN() function instead checking for special value which seems more reasonable

You need to verify that DEGREE_MOD is always separated by space and/or hyphen (" -") and nothing else.

Can a name include a hyphen in it ?

SuryaKiran
Meteorite | Level 14

You can use some SAS function to achieve this, but first you need to know how is your data . FIND(), INDEX(), along with SCAN(), SUBSTR() etc.. can be used. 

Also perl expressions can be used like: 

/* Add all the degrees here */
%LET Degrees=/ MS | MBA | M.Tech | MA /;
data want;
set have;
if prxmatch("&Degrees",Customer_Name) then
	Degree_mod=SCAN(substr(Customer_Name,prxmatch("&Degrees",Customer_Name)),1);
run;
Thanks,
Suryakiran

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation