BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
okcken
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am sure this question may have been asked by other before but we have web based application that uses SQL Server as the backend. We would like to give our clients the capability to directly export data in the ".sas7bdat" format. Is it possible to do so with a "one click" export to SAS format? We have been able to do so with CSV and Excel but trying to find out how we can do so for SAS. I believe there is also the SAS/Access module available but it is too expensive. I am looking for an alternative solution.

Any feeback/comments/advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Ken

3 REPLIES 3
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

The SAS file format is proprietary to SAS Institute, so I don't think that there is any legal/free tool that will give you this.

If you wish to have SQL Server as master, then SAS/ACCESS is not the best fit.You probably need a SAS server solution which could be accessed by ODBC or OLEDB.

My suggestion that you check with a SAS sales representative, present your case and hopefully they will be able to recommend a set-up for you.

Who are your clients? How do they work with SAS data? I can see it would be nice to go directly to SAS dataset, but it's quite easy to import  csv in SAS, and it's always included in your clients SAS license.

Data never sleeps
Reeza
Super User

You can give them access to the SQL server instead, with ODBC license from SAS on their end. That way they use the tables on the server and get the power of the SQL server as well.

okcken
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks so much for your replies, Reeza and LinusH. I have heard that ODBC drivers are now part of the recent versions of the base SAS program. Can anyone confirm this? Also, from what version onwards have the drivers been included with base SAS?

Much appreciated!

Ken

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation