BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Jack2012
Obsidian | Level 7

Background:  I calcualted the sample size for 2 groups with the response is binary data, and the proportion is the proportion of responders.  The two group have same size. Target to test the non-inferiority between the proportion of group 1 and group 2.

Size calculation Code:

proc power;

twosamplefreq alpha=0.05 test=pchi sides=U npergroup=24 nullproportiondiff=-0.3

refproportion=0.9

proportiondiff=-0.06 power=.;

run;

Question:  Since this power calculation is based on the Pearson Chi-square test, how could I reach the aim to test non-inferiority test of following Hypothesis testing by use of Chi-square Test?:

H0: proportion of group 1 - (minus) proportion of group 2 greater than or equal to -0.03 (0.03 is the margin)

vs

H1: proportion of group 1 - (minus) proportion of group 2 less than -0.03 (0.03 is the margin)

The criteria to conclude: The 95% confidence interval of the proportion differences based on Chi-square test  will be calculated and the non-inferiority will be concluded if the LOWER bound of the confidence interval is greater than -0.3.

What I found is: The only test I found in SAS manual and below link is by use of WADL test, and there is NO Chi-square test available to use. Could you tell me what should I do to analyze the data? Just continue to use the WALD test, and conclude the noninferiority if the 95% confidence interval lower bound exceeds -0.3?

The following code is the dummy data I created and the code to test by use of WALD test, please  help me on my questions, thanks.

data pd1;
input grp $ response count;
datalines;
grp1 1 20
grp1 0 4
plcb 1 18
plcb 0 6
;
run;

/*Do non-inferiority test by Chi-square test*/
proc freq data=pd1;
tables grp*response/alpha=0.025 riskdiff(noninf column=2 correct margin=0.3);/*noninf:non-inferiority test; margin: the margin want to detect*/
weight count;/*count: then number of responders*/
run;

2 REPLIES 2
estrucida
Calcite | Level 5

Hello Jack,

I also have the same problem.

I search quite a lot how to solve it but found no answer anywhere. I end up using excel and just apply the formula.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation