BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Riana
Pyrite | Level 9

Hi,

I'm working with a program to create a text file. It works fine but it doesn't go to the next line for the next obs and it continues with

the same line. How can I create a text file that in each row shows one record(obs)?

Here is my code:

data _null_ ; 
set table.abc;
FILE '/opt/sas94/home/user1/text1.txt' dsd dlm=',' ; 
PUT var1 var2 var3 var4 var5 var6 var7 var8;
run ;

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

You shouldn't put a | between them.  The line is terminated by a given line terminator - so long as the person importing the file knows the line terminator, they can read it in correctly.  See this article for the process:
http://support.sas.com/kb/14/178.html

And for more information on this topic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

What are you opening the file in to view the data?  The reason is I run this on my SAS:

data _null_; 
  set sashelp.class; 
  file 'c:\test.csv' dsd dlm=','; 
  put name sex age; 
run ;

And it works fine when I open it in Notepad.  Do note the consistent code formatting, indetation and the use of code editor {i} above your post.  Note also that I call the output file .csv, this is because you are creating a Comma Separated Variable file, so make sure the file extension describes the data correctly.

What I suspect is your opening that data in either A) a package that doesn't interpret line feed/break characters, or B) your moving it across to Windows from Unix - this is most likely and common.  Windows and Unix have different CR/LF special characters which indicate the end of line.

Riana
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you RW9 for your reply.

I'm opening the text file in Notepad. I've corrected my code by using pipe '|' as delimeter. This file should be sent as text file:

data _null_ ; 
set table.abc;
FILE '/opt/sas94/home/user1/text1.txt' dsd dlm='|' ; 
PUT var1 var2 var3 var4 var5 var6 var7 var8;
run ;

B) your moving it across to Windows from Unix - this is most likely and common.

Yes,maybe it is the issue. There are two ways  for me to run the code:

• Localy from my PC and connect to the server and save text file there.
  • From Citrix (Windows server) and save file on server.

In both cases I faced the same problem but it seems that it is OK for my colleague to receive the file in this way.

But I have another question. Here is an example of text file:

100000095|abcdefghijk|kj7764bbid|20JAN2015|21FEB2015|201501100000098|abcdefncvbjk|abcdehg564d5|09JAN2015|02APR2015|201501100000096

In 201501100000098, 201501 is the last value for the first record and 100000098 is the first value for the second record.

How should I change the code so '|' to be placed between 201501 and100000098?

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

You shouldn't put a | between them.  The line is terminated by a given line terminator - so long as the person importing the file knows the line terminator, they can read it in correctly.  See this article for the process:
http://support.sas.com/kb/14/178.html

And for more information on this topic:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation