How to copy SAS settings from one computer to another

Occasional Contributor

How to copy SAS settings from one computer to another

I work on a few different PCs and I want to know how to copy my default settings from one PC to another. I'm thinking mostly about editor and out font, style, etc, but also default working directory, deafault lib's possibly, etc. Two of the machines are in fully or partially locked-down restricted data environments so there's no possibility of using one machine as my single setup and remoting in when I'm on others. I figure there must be some settings or configuration file I can copy from machine to machine as a text file.

Thanks in advance.

-

Super User

Re: How to copy SAS settings from one computer to another

Some items, editor styles and such are in the SAS registry. You can open the SAS Registry entries using Regedit command in SAS and export the entries to a text file that can be imported using Regedit in the other system to read the file (or sometimes just click on it). If you go this route I would suggest exporting selected items carefully so you only the bits you want as there are lots of ways to mess up a registry.

If you have editor keyboard macros you can go into the editor keys preferences and export those as text that can be imported to another machine.

Directories and libraries and such are better set in an Autoexec.SAS file that could be read on startup. The trick is setting the configuration file to look for the autoexec script.

Some of your appearance options may be stored in SASUSER.PROFILE catalog which would involve some step like create a transport file and proc cimport.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks so much for the thorough answer. So not as easy as moving one file. Too bad. I'll have to decide which items I really need and whether it's easier than just sitting with machines side-by-side and manually making them the same. Luckily one is a laptop Smiley Happy

Super User

I've been wishing for about 4 releases of SAS that they would show us program code that could be used to generate such things as the editor preferences and settings without having to mess with registry stuff.

I kind of want to stuff a bunch into the autoexec.sas file and forget it. Note that any code you want to run can go into the autoexec, not just system options or library assignments (and an associated format search path setting to find my permanent format catalogs).

Super User

This might help you a little bit.

proc optload

proc optsave

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation