How to configure TextPad for running SAS ?

New Contributor

How to configure TextPad for running SAS ?

Hi everybody,

I'm really pleased to join the SAS community.

I search the way to configure the text editor TextPad in order to run SAS codes.

Does anybody have an idea for this ?

Thanks,

JKlein

Super User
Super User

Re: How to configure TextPad for running SAS ?

Ah, you are talking about code highlighting/completion etc.  As far as I am aware there is no file plug-in for any other editor other than the Enhanced Editor and possibly Eclipse.  I agree it would be great if this was available as there are some really powerful editors out there, text pad and notepad++ being nice free ones. 

Super User
Super User

Sorry, let me stand corrected on that.  Some nice people apparently have created the syntax/highlighting/completion.

http://www.textpad.com/add-ons/synn2t.html

Scroll down for SAS.  Not sure how complete they are.  You would also need to setup a command button to batch/submit if you want to do it in the editor, although you could right click files and batch submit.

New Contributor

Yes, I have already installed SAS add-on of the link you mentionned (and they are quite complete, my code is so colourfull and easy to read :smileysilly: ) . The point is I don't know how to setup my Editor to submit SAS code into it :smileyplain:

It is maybe not totally a "SAS question" I guess ... That would be great !

I'm sorry but I didn't understand what you said by "you could right click files and batch submit" ... My english and my SAS levels are quite average :smileylaugh: ...

Super User
Super User

I don't actually have textpad on this machine so can't give you exact terminology.  However almost all editors will give you the option of creating a button (could be system command, macro button etc.).  You would create one of these and assign it to (as an example), sas.exe - batch filename.

As for the "right clik submit files", what I meant was this.  When SAS is installed locally on your machine it adds certain commands to the Windows Explorer right click menu when you right click on a file extension associated with sas.  One of the options if you right click on a .sas program is to batch submit the program.  What this does is send the text file to the compiler, executes the file, saves the log in the same place as the .sas program, and outputs any result.  So you can edit the .sas file in textpad, save it, then right click on it in Explorer and batch submit it.  The command button above does something similar, but that would be within the textpad.

New Contributor

Okay, now I unsderstand. I didn't know about this right clicking thing. Thank you !

So, I have to learn how to create this button with my editor

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 2 in conversation