How to code for many regression models with similar variables

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to code for many regression models with similar variables

Dear SAS Community,

I'm trying to calculate logistic regression odds ratios (associations) between 20 different chemicals and 9 different cancer sites in my dataset.

I would like to use macro language or proc sql to efficiently code for the 180 logistic regression models.

My variables are person id (ID), sites A-I (site), and chemical exposures 1-20 (exp). Here is an idea of what my data looks like.  The variables for cancer sites are coded as dummy variables (1= case, 0=non-case). 

The ellipsis (...) indicates that I'm only showing 1 cancer site variable instead of all 9, only 1 chemical out of 20, and only 5 subjects from the whole study.   

ID     SiteA ...     Exp1 ...

1     1                    10.5

2     0                    0.5

3     0                    6

4     0                    1.3

5     1                    12.2

My basic model looks like this:

proc logistic data = analysis;

model &site (event="1")= &exp; *Odds ratios for chemicals as continuous variables;

run;

Could someone please suggest how I can write concise code for all these tests using the same underlying model? Thank you.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎07-31-2013 09:03 PM
Super Contributor

Re: How to code for many regression models with repeating variables

Hi TJ,

I haven't tested the attached as you haven't provided any data, but hopefully it makes sense.  If you have each of your scenarios in a dataset, which I assume you can achieve on your own, using a Call Execute will allow for you to use values in the relevant variables as part of your statements, functions and the like.

DATA _NULL_;

SET SAMPLES (END=EOF);

STR =COMPBL( "PROC LOGISTIC DATA = HAVE; MODEL "|| SITE || " (EVENT='1')=" || EXP || ";";

CALL EXECUTE (STR);

IF EOF THEN DO;

STR = 'RUN;';

CALL EXECUTE (STR);

END;

RUN;

The following gives you a simple example of code that works.  We are accessing the Dictionary View VCOLUMN to identify all the columns in SASHELP.CLASS and executing a sort on each of the variables.

DATA _NULL_;

SET SASHELP.VCOLUMN (WHERE =(LIBNAME = "SASHELP" AND MEMNAME = "CLASS")) END=EOF;

STR =COMPBL( "PROC SORT DATA = SASHELP.CLASS OUT = SORTCLASS ; BY " || NAME || ";");

CALL EXECUTE (STR);

IF EOF THEN DO;

STR = 'RUN;';

CALL EXECUTE (STR);

END;

RUN;

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎07-31-2013 09:03 PM
Super Contributor

Hi TJ,

I haven't tested the attached as you haven't provided any data, but hopefully it makes sense.  If you have each of your scenarios in a dataset, which I assume you can achieve on your own, using a Call Execute will allow for you to use values in the relevant variables as part of your statements, functions and the like.

DATA _NULL_;

SET SAMPLES (END=EOF);

STR =COMPBL( "PROC LOGISTIC DATA = HAVE; MODEL "|| SITE || " (EVENT='1')=" || EXP || ";";

CALL EXECUTE (STR);

IF EOF THEN DO;

STR = 'RUN;';

CALL EXECUTE (STR);

END;

RUN;

The following gives you a simple example of code that works.  We are accessing the Dictionary View VCOLUMN to identify all the columns in SASHELP.CLASS and executing a sort on each of the variables.

DATA _NULL_;

SET SASHELP.VCOLUMN (WHERE =(LIBNAME = "SASHELP" AND MEMNAME = "CLASS")) END=EOF;

STR =COMPBL( "PROC SORT DATA = SASHELP.CLASS OUT = SORTCLASS ; BY " || NAME || ";");

CALL EXECUTE (STR);

IF EOF THEN DO;

STR = 'RUN;';

CALL EXECUTE (STR);

END;

RUN;

Contributor

Posted in reply to Scott_Mitchell

Thank you very much for your suggested code. I found this link to be especially helpful for testing multiple independent variables. The authors also run the 'call execute' subroutine that you recommend. 

SAS Super FREQ

Re: How to code for many regression models with similar variables

Perhaps I'm missing something, but if you just want 9 different independent analyses, transform the data into a long data set with SITE=A-I and use a BY statement with SITE as the BY variable.

If you want to specify a single model that incorporates the sites, you can specify SITE as a CLASS variable and include interactions between the variables and the sites.

Lastly, if SITE is a random variable, rather than a fixed effect, you might want to look at using PROC GLIMMIX instead of PROC LOGISTIC. has posted many examples of using PROC GLIMMIX.

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation