BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
TJ87
Obsidian | Level 7

Dear SAS Community,

I'm trying to calculate logistic regression odds ratios (associations) between 20 different chemicals and 9 different cancer sites in my dataset.

I would like to use macro language or proc sql to efficiently code for the 180 logistic regression models.

My variables are person id (ID), sites A-I (site), and chemical exposures 1-20 (exp). Here is an idea of what my data looks like.  The variables for cancer sites are coded as dummy variables (1= case, 0=non-case). 

The ellipsis (...) indicates that I'm only showing 1 cancer site variable instead of all 9, only 1 chemical out of 20, and only 5 subjects from the whole study.   

ID     SiteA ...     Exp1 ...

1     1                    10.5

2     0                    0.5

3     0                    6

4     0                    1.3

5     1                    12.2

My basic model looks like this:

proc logistic data = analysis;

model &site (event="1")= &exp; *Odds ratios for chemicals as continuous variables;

run;

Could someone please suggest how I can write concise code for all these tests using the same underlying model? Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Mitchell
Quartz | Level 8

Hi TJ,

I haven't tested the attached as you haven't provided any data, but hopefully it makes sense.  If you have each of your scenarios in a dataset, which I assume you can achieve on your own, using a Call Execute will allow for you to use values in the relevant variables as part of your statements, functions and the like.

DATA _NULL_;

SET SAMPLES (END=EOF);

STR =COMPBL( "PROC LOGISTIC DATA = HAVE; MODEL "|| SITE || " (EVENT='1')=" || EXP || ";";

CALL EXECUTE (STR);

IF EOF THEN DO;

STR = 'RUN;';

CALL EXECUTE (STR);

END;

RUN;

The following gives you a simple example of code that works.  We are accessing the Dictionary View VCOLUMN to identify all the columns in SASHELP.CLASS and executing a sort on each of the variables.

DATA _NULL_;

SET SASHELP.VCOLUMN (WHERE =(LIBNAME = "SASHELP" AND MEMNAME = "CLASS")) END=EOF;

STR =COMPBL( "PROC SORT DATA = SASHELP.CLASS OUT = SORTCLASS ; BY " || NAME || ";");

CALL EXECUTE (STR);

IF EOF THEN DO;

STR = 'RUN;';

CALL EXECUTE (STR);

END;

RUN;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Scott_Mitchell
Quartz | Level 8

Hi TJ,

I haven't tested the attached as you haven't provided any data, but hopefully it makes sense.  If you have each of your scenarios in a dataset, which I assume you can achieve on your own, using a Call Execute will allow for you to use values in the relevant variables as part of your statements, functions and the like.

DATA _NULL_;

SET SAMPLES (END=EOF);

STR =COMPBL( "PROC LOGISTIC DATA = HAVE; MODEL "|| SITE || " (EVENT='1')=" || EXP || ";";

CALL EXECUTE (STR);

IF EOF THEN DO;

STR = 'RUN;';

CALL EXECUTE (STR);

END;

RUN;

The following gives you a simple example of code that works.  We are accessing the Dictionary View VCOLUMN to identify all the columns in SASHELP.CLASS and executing a sort on each of the variables.

DATA _NULL_;

SET SASHELP.VCOLUMN (WHERE =(LIBNAME = "SASHELP" AND MEMNAME = "CLASS")) END=EOF;

STR =COMPBL( "PROC SORT DATA = SASHELP.CLASS OUT = SORTCLASS ; BY " || NAME || ";");

CALL EXECUTE (STR);

IF EOF THEN DO;

STR = 'RUN;';

CALL EXECUTE (STR);

END;

RUN;

TJ87
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you very much for your suggested code. I found this link to be especially helpful for testing multiple independent variables. The authors also run the 'call execute' subroutine that you recommend. 

Rick_SAS
SAS Super FREQ

Perhaps I'm missing something, but if you just want 9 different independent analyses, transform the data into a long data set with SITE=A-I and use a BY statement with SITE as the BY variable.

If you want to specify a single model that incorporates the sites, you can specify SITE as a CLASS variable and include interactions between the variables and the sites.

Lastly, if SITE is a random variable, rather than a fixed effect, you might want to look at using PROC GLIMMIX instead of PROC LOGISTIC. has posted many examples of using PROC GLIMMIX.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation