How to calculate the mean of all the observations of one variable and add the mean value as a variable on the table for every observation?

Occasional Contributor

How to calculate the mean of all the observations of one variable and add the mean value as a variable on the table for every observation?

Suppose the 'Grade' variable has 100 observations. I want to calculate the mean of those 100 observations and save the value as one varaible on the table. I know we could easily get the mean through "proc mean", but that will not save the mean value as a new varaible on the same table.

Thanks in advance. 

Super User

Re: How to calculate the mean of all the observations of one variable and add the mean value as a variable on the table for every observation?

Here's a SQL option:

proc sql;

create table want as

select *, mean(age) as avg_age

from sashelp.class;

quit;

Trusted Advisor

Re: How to calculate the mean of all the observations of one variable and add the mean value as a variable on the table for every observation?

data have;

input grade;

datalines;

;

proc sql;

select grade,avg(grade) as mean from have;

quit;

Super User

OR, after get mean by proc mean , you can do something like this:

proc mean noprint;

output out=mean mean=;

run;

data want;

set have;

if _n_ eq 1 then set mean;

run;

Xia Keshan

Super Contributor

As an alternative you could loop through your data set yourself and add the mean:

data have;
input grade;
datalines;
;
Run;

Data Want (Drop=Obs i Total);
  Do Obs=1 By 1 Until (Eof);
    Set Have End=Eof;
Total=Sum(Total,Grade);
  End;
  Mean=Total/Obs;
  Do i=1 To Obs;