BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Jonate_H
Quartz | Level 8

I have unbalanced data: each ID in each year have different number of observations (in total 12 years and 50 different IDs).

I try to:

step 1, make each ID in each year have the same number of observations (6 obs/year), and set income as missing value for those missing months.

step 2, transpose the format of the "balanced" data set.

(for step 1, I tried to split data into small ones by id and by year, operate on each small data set, and then merge them back (the process is very inefficient); for step 2, I find something about "proc transpose" on the website is relevant, but haven't found the right way to do it)

unbalanced.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
FriedEgg
SAS Employee

You can perform both of these steps using PROC TRANSPOSE

proc transpose data=have out=want;

by year month;

var income;

id id;

run;

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
FriedEgg
SAS Employee

You can perform both of these steps using PROC TRANSPOSE

proc transpose data=have out=want;

by year month;

var income;

id id;

run;

Jonate_H
Quartz | Level 8

That's pretty neat, thank you so much!

By the way, is there any easy way to do step 1? (I mean, balance the data but don't transpose the format)... Looks like I can re-transpose the data after running your code, am I right?

FriedEgg
SAS Employee

You could transpose the data back again, yes.  You could write a datastep to do it, but I do not really see the benefit of having that intermediate data.

Jonate_H
Quartz | Level 8

You're right. Thanks.

MY_
Calcite | Level 5 MY_
Calcite | Level 5

Hi FriedEgg,

I am working on an analysis that needs me to get the intermediate data, that is, only conduct Step 1 in the original post. Do you know how I can do that?

Thank you!

FriedEgg
SAS Employee
@MY_ it would serve you best to create a new post specific to your question.
MY_
Calcite | Level 5 MY_
Calcite | Level 5

Hi FriedEgg, I have sent SAS support an email and got the answers. Thank you for your kindly reply 🙂

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation