BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jason_253
Calcite | Level 5

Hi,

I am wondering whether it is possible to configure my SAS in a way that allows me to double click on a SAS dataset while SAS is closed and get the same current folder (once SAS starts up) as I get when I start SAS by clicking on the icon in my start menu? The latter current folder location is better because that is where my autoexec file is located. Some SAS datasets I work with require specific SAS formats in order to view the contents, and the autoexec file tells SAS where those correct Format Catalogs are located on our network. Otherwise,, I get an error message saying the table cannot be opened.

Thanks,

Jason

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

You probably want to add some automatic libraries or working folder via the configuration file (cfg file). 

@jason_253 wrote:

Hi,

I am wondering whether it is possible to configure my SAS in a way that allows me to double click on a SAS dataset while SAS is closed and get the same current folder (once SAS starts up) as I get when I start SAS by clicking on the icon in my start menu? The latter current folder location is better because that is where my autoexec file is located. Some SAS datasets I work with require specific SAS formats in order to view the contents, and the autoexec file tells SAS where those correct Format Catalogs are located on our network. Otherwise,, I get an error message saying the table cannot be opened.

Thanks,

Jason

jason_253
Calcite | Level 5

OK, thanks for the response. I'll check that out.

AndrewHowell

Jason,

• What is your "SAS" - PC/SAS on a Windows workstation (presumably), Enterprise Guide, SAS/Studio, SAS University Edition, other? And what version?
  • You want the SAS current folder (SASINITIALFOLDER option?) to be set to the folder containing the data set you double-click on. Or is that the default behaviour after a double-click but you want to override that?

AUTOEXEC defaults first to the current working folder, then the %PATH%, so you can probably "force" a preferred AUTOEXEC by adding to your PATH environment variable.

Useful links:

Some good forum presentations:

jason_253
Calcite | Level 5

I'm pretty certain I'm using PC/SAS on a Windows workstation, version 9.4. 

Yes, it seems like I need a way to override the default behavior after I double click on a file as a means of opening SAS (or starting a session). I am confused as to why the current folder assignment varies depending on how I start up the program. If I start SAS by clicking the icon in my Start menu, the current folder is my C:\Users\JCarr folder (which contains my autoexec file). If I start SAS by double clicking a SAS dataset file sitting one of our network servers, the current folder becomes C:\windows\system32.

I'll take a look at those reference documents. Thanks for the help!

Jason

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation