BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
yawenyu
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello!

I am using SAS ver9.3 to sort observations. They are as follows:

NT1

NT2

T1

T2

T3

I would like to sort them as:

T1

T2

T3

NT1

NT2

A simple DECENDING statement does not work, and give me T3, T2, T1, NT2, NT1. Is there a proper way to sort this? Thank you in advance. I am new at SAS programming so apologies if there is a simple solution I am not realizing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

Well, there's not really a simple solution.  SAS isn't built to sort in an order that is neither ascending nor descending.  You would need to create an extra variable based on your old variable:

if oldvar =: 'T' then sort_order=1;

else sort_order=2;

Then use that as part of your sorting sequence:

proc sort data=have;

by sort_order oldvar;

run;

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Astounding
PROC Star

Well, there's not really a simple solution.  SAS isn't built to sort in an order that is neither ascending nor descending.  You would need to create an extra variable based on your old variable:

if oldvar =: 'T' then sort_order=1;

else sort_order=2;

Then use that as part of your sorting sequence:

proc sort data=have;

by sort_order oldvar;

run;

yawenyu
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you! This worked perfectly.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation