BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
MattSan
Calcite | Level 5

Hello All,

I would like to make a SAS dataset available to all users can be loaded into server memory (RAM) for sharing. I would like to not have to restart the server if I can (as indicated in the PROC SERVER ALLOCATE function). Is this possible?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

The easiest way would be to create a RAM-based virtual disk, and copy the tables you want to accelerate there.

This will appear to SAS as a normal disk, and you can use it and manage it as any other disk resource from SAS.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
MattSan
Calcite | Level 5

I am not sure. How do I go about finding out if we have SAS/Share?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

What is your reason for wanting to share an in-memory SAS dataset on a standard SAS App server? This is exactly what SAS VA does. Is this a possibility for you as it would be a much more robust solution than SASFILE? 

MattSan
Calcite | Level 5

Hello, my team needs to access five readonly files on a regular basis and I thought that putting these files in memory would speed up I/O. We have quite a bit of RAM that is not being utilised on our server (128GB).

MattSan
Calcite | Level 5

This is exactly what I am looking for however I do not know how to implement this. Do you have any resources on how to implement this?

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

The easiest way would be to create a RAM-based virtual disk, and copy the tables you want to accelerate there.

This will appear to SAS as a normal disk, and you can use it and manage it as any other disk resource from SAS.

MattSan
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for your response, could you perhaps point me to resources that explain how to implement your idea?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation