BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
MattSan
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I have a dataset that contains various numbers stored in a character format i.e.

I would like to pad each of these values to so that each string is 16 characters long using a PROC SQL statement i.e.

This is what I have tried so far without much success:

PROC SQL;

SELECT FORMAT (X, '0000000000000000000')

FROM Table;

QUIT;

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Firstly, have you hard evidence that using proc sql will increase the processing speed?  I can certainly pull out some posts which show SQL usage on large datasets to be far more resource consuming.  Never restrict yourself to one technology.

Secondly, most datastep statement can be moved into a proc sql - of course if its passthrough then its a different matter - so:

data have;
  a="123456";
run;                                                                                

proc sql;
  create table WANT as
  select  A,
          cats(repeat("0",20-lengthn(A)),A) as B,
          put(input(A,best.),z20.) as C
  from    HAVE;
quit;

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

There are many ways, concatenation, changing to number and then back again are two for example:

data want;
  a="123456";
  b=cats(repeat("0",20-lengthn(a)),a);
  c=put(input(a,best.),z20.);
run;
MattSan
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you however I was looking for a PROC SQL solution if possible? I need a PROC SQL version in order to possibly increase the processing speed on a large dataset.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Firstly, have you hard evidence that using proc sql will increase the processing speed?  I can certainly pull out some posts which show SQL usage on large datasets to be far more resource consuming.  Never restrict yourself to one technology.

Secondly, most datastep statement can be moved into a proc sql - of course if its passthrough then its a different matter - so:

data have;
  a="123456";
run;                                                                                

proc sql;
  create table WANT as
  select  A,
          cats(repeat("0",20-lengthn(A)),A) as B,
          put(input(A,best.),z20.) as C
  from    HAVE;
quit;
MattSan
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you for your response. I am still fairly new to SAS and therefore I am not certain of the processing overhead of some data steps vs PROC SQL however I have been told by my colleagues that using data step "merge" vs a SQL "join" procedure is much slower. I would like to mark your answer as the solution however I am not sure what variables "B" and "C" refer to? Please could you perhaps clarify this?

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Well, I say they "could" be right in certain circumstances, but its very dependant on scenario and a wide ranging statement of SQL > datastep at merging is misleading at best.

B and C refer to variables in the output dataset, it takes the form of

<logical statement> as <new_variable>

or

<variable from contributing table> as <new_variable>

If you run the code in SAS you will see the output. 

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

@MattSan wrote:

Thank you however I was looking for a PROC SQL solution if possible? I need a PROC SQL version in order to possibly increase the processing speed on a large dataset.

PROC SQL will not speed up the processing; unless your dataset resides in a remote RDBMS that has a lot more computing power than your SAS host, where SQL pass-through will have a noticeable effect.

In pure SAS, SQL is at best just as fast as a data step merge. And often considerably (up to several orders of magnitude) slower.

MattSan
Calcite | Level 5

My dataset does reside in a remote RDBMS and the extra effort to sort the data before merging the datasets is unwarranted.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 3 in conversation