BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Aj
Fluorite | Level 6 Aj
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Can any one please help me to find a way to do the following: 

I have multiple files in a folder, of different formats (.tmp, .processed, .orgi) :  I want to import them at all at once and do the following.

1. Code to read in just the file names in the folder. 

2. Code to import the name of the file as a seperate column, along with the data in the file.

3. Code to read in the file name as the data set name for each file in the data. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Well, 1 is as simple as running a dir listing in via pipe and the second point is a simple scan:

filename tmp pipe 'dir "c:\directory\*.*" /b';
data want;
  length buffer $2000;
  infile tmp;
  input buffer $;
filename=scan(buffer,1,"."); run;

Point 3 is not clear at all to me.  Please clarify.  Are you planning on reading these files - of mixed type, and probably mixed structure - in?  If so then your going to need a process for each different file, and strcuture. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
ballardw
Super User

Several ways to do the first, some are operating system dependent and there may be permission settings if working in a server enviroment.

The SAS functions DOPEN DREAD and associated functions are intended to read directory information.

The second is going to require, as a minimum that you specify what type of file to read for each file. If you are expecting to use Proc Import that would be the DBMS statement but you will have to say what type of file in terms SAS understands. I promise there is no standard file type for processed and orgi extensions the tmp. If these are consistently delimited files such as CSV or Tab or other special character you may have a chance. If the data is fixed column or some report type file with different lines needing different processing you are SOL. You would also have to add the file name after importing as that is not a standard option with proc import.

Otherwise you're going to have to write a program to read each file layout.

I've been involved in a project where all of the files were supposedly the same layout but different variable lengths, numbers of rows per record and variables per line required tweeking a "standard" code template in about 10 places to finally read the 60 or so files involved. So I suspect that you will learn to write or modify datastep input code for this project.

How many total files are you needing to work with?

The third may not be possible at all as 1) period is not acceptable in a SAS data set name, 2) SAS only allows letters, numbers and _ to appear in dataset names 3) you may have an issue with overall length of the file name.

Aj
Fluorite | Level 6 Aj
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Ballard,

I have around 70 different files with same structure which have pipe delimeter. The structure is same and they are all text files with .txt.processed,

.txt,

.txt.orgi 

.txt.orgi   as the type of the files.

I was able to read the names of the files into a data set as mentioned by the User 'RW9'. 

I can import all the files at once to a single dataset, using the code 

infile ('C:\path\*.log' 'C:\path\*.gti' 'c:\path\*.txt') .

But i want to get the corresponding filenames from those files, added as a seperate column. 

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Well, 1 is as simple as running a dir listing in via pipe and the second point is a simple scan:

filename tmp pipe 'dir "c:\directory\*.*" /b';
data want;
  length buffer $2000;
  infile tmp;
  input buffer $;
filename=scan(buffer,1,"."); run;

Point 3 is not clear at all to me.  Please clarify.  Are you planning on reading these files - of mixed type, and probably mixed structure - in?  If so then your going to need a process for each different file, and strcuture. 

Aj
Fluorite | Level 6 Aj
Fluorite | Level 6

I have around 70 different files with same structure which have pipe delimeter. The structure is same and they are all text files with .txt.processed,

.txt,

.txt.orgi 

.txt.orgi   as the type of the files.

I was able to read the names of the files into a data set as mentioned by you. 

I can import all the files at once to a single dataset, using the code 

infile ('C:\path\*.log' 'C:\path\*.gti' 'c:\path\*.txt') .

But i want to get the corresponding filenames from those files, added as a seperate column. 

I agree, the last suggestion is too complicated.sorry to confuse you 🙂

ballardw
Super User

Add a variable to store the name and  the option FILENAME= to your infile statement.

data read;

Length InputFile $ 200. ; /* or declare a length long enough to hold the path and file name*/

infile ('C:\path\*.log' 'C:\path\*.gti' 'c:\path\*.txt')  dlm='|'    Filename=Tfile;

InputFile = Tfile;

/* rest of your input*/

run;

Aj
Fluorite | Level 6 Aj
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi ballard,

I tried your code and gave a lenth of $ 5000.But it doesn't copy the whole path.

It stops at C:\Users. I tried it from different directory, but result is same. 

What do you think is the problem here. 

Thanks,

ballardw
Super User

Both the permanent variable and the FILENAME variable need to be declared for length. Sorry I missed that. Put both variables on the LENGTH statement with the same length. Otherwise a character variable defaults to 8 which would stop at C:\USERS

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation