BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ss123
Calcite | Level 5

I have been trying to find ways to import my 32bit microsoft excel 2010 and I found the PC file server installation guide (SAS/ACCESS(R) 9.4 Interface to PC Files: Reference, Second Edition). However, it is a little confusing and I was wondering if any of you have done it and tell me about your experience.

My laptop is a windows 7.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

It is not that difficult, You need to install the 32-bit version of PCfiles-server.

Your SAS code need to be changed to using the tcpip connection to that PCfiles-server. By that it will go from a 64-bit to 32-bit process.

The technical reason it the ACE-driver being part of MS-office. That driver is doing all the conversions.  

With xlsx files (Zip files containing XML files) this is not necessary any more, but SAS is still doing this.

Other solutions could be:  

- Use 64-bit Ms-office

- Transport your data using CSV or XML (do the conversion outside SAS / Office) 

- Go fo a server-approach wit AMO (Addin Microsoft Office)

It is a usual question. DBMS interfaces and many more are having the same kind of bit-ness issues.

http://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view=&gid=70702&type=member&item=5869814871612235778&qid=d26176d7-...

---->-- ja karman --<-----

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

It is not that difficult, You need to install the 32-bit version of PCfiles-server.

Your SAS code need to be changed to using the tcpip connection to that PCfiles-server. By that it will go from a 64-bit to 32-bit process.

The technical reason it the ACE-driver being part of MS-office. That driver is doing all the conversions.  

With xlsx files (Zip files containing XML files) this is not necessary any more, but SAS is still doing this.

Other solutions could be:  

- Use 64-bit Ms-office

- Transport your data using CSV or XML (do the conversion outside SAS / Office) 

- Go fo a server-approach wit AMO (Addin Microsoft Office)

It is a usual question. DBMS interfaces and many more are having the same kind of bit-ness issues.

http://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view=&gid=70702&type=member&item=5869814871612235778&qid=d26176d7-...

---->-- ja karman --<-----
ss123
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks! It took me so long is because I didn't find any pc server file for sas 9.4, but now they have it!

Ksharp
Super User

You can make a ODBC connection for that excel file, But it would be cumbersome and clumsy .

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation