How do I build a logistic model for each categorical value of some categorical variable of a dataset

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

How do I build a logistic model for each categorical value of some categorical variable of a dataset

proc logistic data=BTS201506 ; 
class Carrier ; 
model DepDelayInd(Descending) = CRSDepTime seqnum DepDelayLagInd DepDelayLag DepDelayLagCum ArrDelayLagInd ArrDelayLag ArrDelayLagCum DepDelayLag2 ArrDelayLag2;
where cancelled=0 ;
run ;

So basically, Carrier is my categorical variable. I want to partition the dataset based on the values of this categorical variable and then build a logistic regression for each of the values of this categorical variable, Carrier.

But the code above does not work.

Help

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎04-13-2016 07:09 PM
Grand Advisor

Re: How do I build a logistic model for each categorical value of some categorical variable of a dat

Instead of Class Carrier use By Carrier. This will do a complete separate analysis for each level of Carrier. The data must be sorted by Carrier first though.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎04-13-2016 07:09 PM
Grand Advisor

Re: How do I build a logistic model for each categorical value of some categorical variable of a dat

Instead of Class Carrier use By Carrier. This will do a complete separate analysis for each level of Carrier. The data must be sorted by Carrier first though.

Occasional Contributor

But Carrier is a character variable.

Occasional Contributor

When I use By Carrier.

this is error message

ERROR: Variable Carrier should be either numeric or specified in the CLASS statement

Trusted Advisor

First sort your data set by Carrier then use the sorted data set in logistic regression with 

By Carrier; 

Occasional Contributor

Actually it worked.

My final question is,

It seems that the

"where cancelled = 0"

statement has no effect.

I'm still getting warnings like these in the ouput window:

"Note: 2898 observations were deleted due to missing values for the response or explanatory variables."

But that shouldn't be the case because all the missing values are where cancelled = 1.

By stating where cancelled = 1, i am selecting those observations without missing values.

Grand Advisor

junlue wrote:

Actually it worked.

My final question is,

It seems that the

"where cancelled = 0"

statement has no effect.

I'm still getting warnings like these in the ouput window:

"Note: 2898 observations were deleted due to missing values for the response or explanatory variables."

But that shouldn't be the case because all the missing values are where cancelled = 1.

By stating where cancelled = 1, i am selecting those observations without missing values.

Try Running this code and see what you get:

Proc freq data=BTS201506;

tables cancelled* (DepDelayInd  CRSDepTime seqnum DepDelayLagInd DepDelayLag DepDelayLagCum ArrDelayLagInd ArrDelayLag ArrDelayLagCum DepDelayLag2 ArrDelayLag2) / list missing;

run;

See if you have any rows with cancelled=0 and something else missing. Or possibly you really meant to keep cancelled=1??

Occasional Contributor

There was a typo in my previous post. 

I meant "where cancelled = 0", not 1.

However, this was a non-issue and you are right. There are indeed still missing values in for rows with the value of 0 for the cancelled variable

Grand Advisor

[ Edited ]

The procedure, as do most of the regressions, excludes any record with a missing value for the variables on the model statement. It may be that you have some mis-coded variables such as missing should have become 0 or similar that was intended but skipped.

Grand Advisor

@junlue it sounds like you have your question answered. Please mark the appropriate solution as the correct answer.

Grand Advisor

If it doesn't work, please post your code AND log.

You're likely putting something in the wrong place, using a BY statement is the correct answer.

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 4 in conversation