Horizontal sum across columns

New Contributor

Horizontal sum across columns

Hi, I have a SAS dataset with three columns corresponding to YEAR, MONTH, and DAY. I want to create a new column that is the total length in days (i.e., DAY + 30*MONTH + 365*YEAR). How can I do this? Thanks!sum

Super User
Super User

Re: Horizontal sum across columns

I wouldn't use a calculation like that as you may miss leap years.  What is your duration here, you only provide one date, so what is the length in days *since*. 

New Contributor

The data was given to me in YEARS, MONTHS, DAYS format, without regard to specific dates. So perhaps I will use 30.44 days/month and 365.25 days/year.    

New Contributor

Another problem I am running into is that my data uses the values 97, 98, 99 to indicate things like "did not provide." For the purposes of this calculation, I want to set these all to zero. I tried using the DO OVER command, but I'm not sure why it's creating an empty data set.

Super User

Because you have a bug in your code, but we can't see your code so Smiley Sad

Super User

If you have no additional information that's all you can do, but I'd guess as to there being more information somewhere....

N/A

I have the answer for you. But my SAS files are at home. I am at work now. I send you the SAS codes tonight. I have done the same thing for my datasets.

N/A

Assuming the dataset name is set1 and the formula you want to use is  ( DAY + 30*MONTH + 365*YEAR). Following code should work.

Proc sql;

Create table Set2 as

select

Set1.*,

SUM(DAY, (30*MONTH),(365*YEAR)) as TOTAL_DAYS

from

Set1.

;

quit;

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies