BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
fieldsa83
Quartz | Level 8

I have 1 dataset with 2 variables:

PROVINCE, which has codes of 10, 24, 32, 48, 52 (code for each province)

INDUSTRY, industry codes

FREQ, which is a number

I want to make that 1 dataset into 5 different ones, each with the name of the prov code.

Obviously I could do this 5 times: 

data output.prov10;

set output.have;

where prov=10;

run;

But I do not want to do this manually (will have to do it for several other steps too).

How can I do a do loop to just automate it?

%do prov.first %to prov.last;

%let %newprov=prov;

data output.prov&newprov;

set output.have;

%end;

run;

will this work?

8 REPLIES 8
Reeza
Super User

Don't. 

This is what BY group processing is for, if absolutely required split the dataset at the last step.

That being said, this is an FAQ since it's how people tend to think if they haven't worked with SAS a lot.

Here's several posts with sample code and examples on how to automate this so you don't need to know the number of levels prior to running the program. 

http://blogs.sas.com/content/sasdummy/2015/01/26/how-to-split-one-data-set-into-many/

http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/Split_Data_into_Subsets

https://gist.github.com/statgeek/4bfb7574713bedf4e011

For info on how BY group processing works:

https://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrcon/69852/HTML/default/viewer.htm#n138da4gme3zb7n1nif...

fieldsa83
Quartz | Level 8

I also need to do a PROC EXPORT into excel for each of the datsets. Can this also be done without a do loop?

Reeza
Super User

Depends, do you need a file each or one file with different tabs for each province.

Also, you can build the filter directly into the proc export rather than create datasets.

The WHERE clause would be part of the macro rather than generating different subsets.

proc export data=sashelp.class (WHERE=(SEX='F')) outfile='path to file' dbms=xlsx replace; run;
fieldsa83
Quartz | Level 8

Wouldn't that require me to do that 5 times? Seems inefficient. I'm trying to build a loop. 

ballardw
Super User

Not quite. The macro processor %do does not work quite the same as the data step do loop. The %do must be used inside a defined macro (%macro / %mend statements) and then the macro must be called. Otherwise you will get an error about %do in "open code".

I would also suggest does your process really require separate data sets? You could use BY group processing for most things and WHERE dataset options elsewhere.

%macro doloop (list= );
   %let count = %sysfunc(countw(&list));
   %put Items in list= &count;/* just to show the numbers of items in the list*/
   %do i = 1 %to &count;
      p=%scan(&list,&i);
      data output.prov&p ;
         set output.have;
         where prov="&p";
      run;
   %end;
%mend;

%doloop(list=10 24 32 48 52);

Should work. Note the LIST in the macro call cannot have commas because a comma separates parameters. You only need one  parameter: the list.

When creating macros it is a very good idea to ensure that each datastep or procedure has it's own RUN statement. Your code would rely on implied datastep boundaries and the nature of more complex macro coding (not always a good idea) makes that fragile.

fieldsa83
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks, this looks good.

But is there a way to make the loop automatically know how many provinces there are? 

mkeintz
PROC Star

But is there a way to make the loop automatically know how many provinces there are? 

That's what the first line of @ballardw's macro does, it "automatically" gets a count of province codes in the macro argument LIST.

However, if you must create multiple data sets, I'd suggest having the macro construct one data step to make NP (number of province codes) datasets rather than NP data steps each making one dataset.

%macro doloop (list= );
  %let count = %sysfunc(countw(&list));
  %put Items in list= &count;/* just to show the numbers of items in the list*/

data 
  %do i = 1 %to &count;
    %let p=%scan(&list,&i);
    output.prov&p (where=(prov="&p"))
  %end;
  ;
    set output.have;
  run;
%mend;
%doloop(list=10 24 32 48 52);

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

So what is it your trying to do exactly, rather this bits of information.  Providing test data in the form of a datastep is especially usefull.

A dataset is a loop intrinsically, so you can use this functionality to avoid long macro lists, messy macro code etc. quite simply:

Say I have a dataset of codes, and for each I want to run a proc means and output to a tagset:

proc means data=have;
  by code;
  var xyz;
  output out=means_res n=n;
run;

ods tagsets.excelxp file="c:\temp.xml";
data _null_; set codes_list; call execute('ods tagsets.excelxp options(sheet_name="'||strip(code)||'"); proc report data=means_res nowd; where code="'||strip(code)||'"; columns _all_; run;'); run;

ods tagsets.excelxp close;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation