Help in merging two datasets based condition.

Occasional Contributor

Help in merging two datasets based condition.

Hi

I have two data set having 2000 rows and 3 columns in dataset1 and 10 rows and 1 variable in dataset2.

dataset2 have variable name configuration from 1 to 10 and dataset1 have variable name configuration from 1 to 10 but it has many number of times.

I want to merge both dataset, where i want whenever from, dataset2 get value of configuration from 1 to 10 it keeps the value of configuration and respective variables from dataset1.

Suggest me some method.

Thanks.

Super User

Re: Help in merging two datasets based condition.

Posted in reply to apxprdtr10

Please provide explicit examples of the two data sets and the desired result.

Occasional Contributor

dataset A                                                                     dataset B                                              

id      x      y                                                                 id

1       12   34                                                                1

2       23  24                                                                  2

3       54  56                                                                  2 

4      85   45                                                                  1

5     98    92                                                                   3

2

1

4

5

Here i want to merge both datasets.

dataset B

id x y

1 12 34

2 23 24

2 23 24

1 12 34

3 54 56

and so on.

Thanks.

PROC Star

proc sql;
select B.id, a.x, a.y 
from dataset_b b
inner join dataset_a a
on b.id = a.id;

I am not  very sure what you are looking for but I guess something like above might work

Respected Advisor

@apxprdtr10

data a;
  input id x y;
  datalines;
1 12 34 
2 23 24 
3 54 56 
4 85 45 
5 98 92 
;
run;

data B;
  input id;
  sortOrder=_n_;
  datalines;
;
run;

proc sql;
  create table want as
  select 
    b.sortOrder,
    a.*
  from a inner join b
    on a.id=b.id
  order by b.sortOrder
  ;
quit;
PROC Star

If you want the data in the order shown (as in the B table), you cannot use SQL the way some have suggested. The most obvious solutions seem to use a hash or an index; the index solution is probably the simplest to program:

data A;

input id x y;

cards;

1 12 34

2 23 24

3 54 56

4 85 45

5 98 92

;run;

data B;

input id;

cards;

;run;

proc sql;

create index id on a(id);

quit;

data want;

set b;

set a key=id/unique;

if not _iorc_;

run;

The "if not _iorc_" line says that you do not want any output if the ID is not found in A.

If you do want the data from B anyway, you should set X and Y missing to show that no data were found in A:

if _iorc_ then do;

call missing(x,y);

_error_=0;

end;

I put the _error_=0 in because in that case, you probably do not want an error message when there is no data in A.

Super User

@apxprdtr10 wrote:

Hi

I have two data set having 2000 rows and 3 columns in dataset1 and 10 rows and 1 variable in dataset2.

dataset2 have variable name configuration from 1 to 10 and dataset1 have variable name configuration from 1 to 10 but it has many number of times.

I want to merge both dataset, where i want whenever from, dataset2 get value of configuration from 1 to 10 it keeps the value of configuration and respective variables from dataset1.

Suggest me some method.

Thanks.

When doing conditional joins, SQL or Hash are your best options IMO. 

Occasional Contributor

could you help me with syntax code

Super User

Not without data, general questions = general answer. 

Specific questions with example data and a clear illustration of the output will get you example programs.

@apxprdtr10 wrote:

could you help me with syntax code

PROC Star

proc sql;
create table want as
select *
from b bb left join a aa
on bb.id=aa.id;
quit;
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 7 in conversation