1                  30

1                  50

2                  5

2                  7

2                  8

3                   3

3                  6

many records ....

I want to do a rolling count by comparing all the previous rows  with each row within the same number by the date. if the date differennce is less than 7 (for exmaple) then it will be counted as 1 and I want to sum up the total count for each row

the output table like(assume the date difference is 7):

Number      Date            count

1                 10                 1(there is no previous record for number 1 so the count =1(only 10))

1                  15                 2(15-10=5 less than 7 so the count is 2(15 and 10))

1                   21                2(21-15=6 less than 7 and 21-10>11 greater than 7 so the count is 2(15 and 21))

1                  30                 0

1                  50                 0

2                  5                  1(itself count as 1)

2                  7                   1(10-5=5<7 so count=2(5 and 7))

2                  8                   2(8-7=1<7 and 8-5=3<7 so count=3(8 and 7 and 5))

3                   3                  1(itself count as 1)

3                  6                  2(6-3=3<7 so count=2(3 and 6))

I want to create the output table use hasht table and not using SQL or ARRAY statement

Thanks

Super User
Super User

Re: Hast table codes question

Why do you have to do this by hash table?  It would seem to me to be a simple process - sort the data, retain count, if then logic.  Something like:

proc sort data=have;
  by number date;
run;

data want;
  set have;
  retain count;
  by number;
  if first.number then count=0;
  else do;
    if date - lag(date) <= 7 then count=count+1;
  end;
run;
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi RW9, it is not that simple. I want the rolling statistics (counts) for each row within same number. your code can only calculate the count between the current row and previous row but I want the count for all the previous rows for the current row (rolling counts).

For example, for number 1, if the current date is 10 and previous date is 5 and previous(2) is 1, then the count for current date is 1 since 10-5=5<7(included for count) and 10-1=9>7(excluded for count)

THanks

Super User
Super User

Not sure the test example you have given me is correct then, row 3 should be 2 yes?  I am not sure I follow the logic here either.  If previous record is within 7 days then that can only mean the date prior to that is >= 7 no?

Regular Contributor

Hi RW9, I have modified my data. row 3 is 2 now.

so bascally each row will be compared with all the previous rows for that number.

THX!

Super User

"...use hasht table and not using SQL or ARRAY statement". Is this homework? If so it's something we appreciate that you tell us.

And like @RW9, I don't really get the logic. If you tell us a bit more about the underlying requirement it may help us understand.
Data never sleeps
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation