BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
MilenkoAndreas
Calcite | Level 5

Hello to everyone!

Does anybody know if there is a way to group rows that are duplicated in a data set? For example, to put them at the end, or mark them with a color, or create another data set with the duplicated rows.

I appreciate any kind of help!

Kind regards,

Milenko

7 REPLIES 7
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Please attach some sample data to show what you require.

PROC SORT has a DUPOUT= option that might suit your need.

Data never sleeps
MilenkoAndreas
Calcite | Level 5

Hello Linus! Thank you so much for your reply!

Im not so sure what PROC SORT does, Im kind of new in SAS Guide, and I just know how to use some tasks, I guess you are talking about prorgraming. If that is the right path to take, could you tell me if there is a good tutorial for beginners? Please!

Anyway the data is just a matrix with 10 colunms, some columns have dates, others have strings and others numbers.  I dont know if that is enough info, how should I send a sample data?...

Kind regards,

Milenko

rogerward
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi  Milenko,

UCLA operates a great site for individuals wanting to learn SAS.  Here is the URL:  http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/sas/default.htm

They have nice tutorials and movies to watch.

SAS also has free training.  Check this link:  SAS Training Starting Points  Look for the "Free Training at Your Fingertips".

Enjoy learning!

Roger

MilenkoAndreas
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you, rogerward!! I will visit those places for sure!! Thank you so much!!

MaikH_Schutze
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Milenko,

To answer your question, the SORT procedure (written as PROC SORT) in the SAS editor window sorts your observations based on any number of variables in your data set. For example, you mentioned dates, you can sort the data by dates, using a BY statement, and keep the first record with a given date in your data set and copy the duplicate records into a new data set using the DUPOUT= option mentioned above. Here is an example:

proc sort data=file dupout=dup nodupkey;

by var1;

run;

Note that you can sort a data set by any number of BY variables (second line), not just the date, but other variables in your data set.

Hope that helps,

Maik.

MilenkoAndreas
Calcite | Level 5

Hey Maik! Thank you so much! that is exactly what I used!  Your help is very appreciate!!

Kind regards!

MilenkoAndreas
Calcite | Level 5

Hey! I just learned how to use that function! :smileygrin:  Thank you so much!! It worked  just fine!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation