BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
rogersaj
Obsidian | Level 7

This is slightly more in the realm of math questions than SAS, but maybe someone can help me figure out how to use SAS to compute it:

The CDC publishes US infant growth charts for weight and length -- complete with percentile, z-scores, and "LMS parameters: the median (M), the generalized coefficient of variation (S), and the power in the Box-Cox transformation (L)" to allow us to calculate our own percentiles from weight and length. The chart starts at birth.

CDC.PNG

However, I want these percentiles from BEFORE birth. The WHO just published these values for expected fetal weight at different gestational ages. 

WHO_EFW_female.PNG

These percentiles (5th, 10th, 25th, etc.) aren't good enough for me. I need a much more granular percentile -- i.e. I need the L, M, and S values so that I can calculate my own percentile from birthweight data.

Any idea how to get those LMS values from the above table? The authors don't publish them. Do I need to contact them for raw data? That might take forever...

Thanks SO much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
rogersaj
Obsidian | Level 7

Well, I think I found the answer to my own question:

LMS values (measures of skew, the median, and the standard deviation) were computed from the interpolated cubic splines at weekly intervals. Cole’s procedures and an iterative least squares method were used to derive the LMS parameters (L = Box-Cox power, M = median, S = coefficient of variation) from the multicentre meta-analyses for weight, head circumference and length. The LMS splines were smoothed slightly while maintaining data integrity as noted above.

Cole TJ, Green PJ: Smoothing reference centile curves: the LMS method and penalized likelihood. Stat Med. 1992, 11: 1305-1319. 10.1002/sim.4780111005. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
rogersaj
Obsidian | Level 7

Well, I think I found the answer to my own question:

LMS values (measures of skew, the median, and the standard deviation) were computed from the interpolated cubic splines at weekly intervals. Cole’s procedures and an iterative least squares method were used to derive the LMS parameters (L = Box-Cox power, M = median, S = coefficient of variation) from the multicentre meta-analyses for weight, head circumference and length. The LMS splines were smoothed slightly while maintaining data integrity as noted above.

Cole TJ, Green PJ: Smoothing reference centile curves: the LMS method and penalized likelihood. Stat Med. 1992, 11: 1305-1319. 10.1002/sim.4780111005. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation