BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Asesaton
Calcite | Level 5

I want to run a macro that takes a dataset, processes it, and outputs a new dataset with a that name depends on the name of the original dataset.

e.g something like this

%let data_in = my_data;
%let data_out = &data_in || '_processed'

But calling &data_in isn't really what I want to do, I would like call the dataset name as a character string.  Is this possible?

I've had a hunt through documentation and forums but can't find what I am looking for. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Don't use quotes in macro language if you want to concatenate strings. Always keep in mind that macro language is most and foremost a text processing tool, and only knows the data type character.

Do it like this:

%let data_in=my_data;
%let data_out=&data_in._processed;

The dot after the &data_in terminates that particular macro variable reference.

PS if you use quotes in the right side of a %let, they will become part of the value stored in the macro variable, instead of being treated as string delimiters.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Don't use quotes in macro language if you want to concatenate strings. Always keep in mind that macro language is most and foremost a text processing tool, and only knows the data type character.

Do it like this:

%let data_in=my_data;
%let data_out=&data_in._processed;

The dot after the &data_in terminates that particular macro variable reference.

PS if you use quotes in the right side of a %let, they will become part of the value stored in the macro variable, instead of being treated as string delimiters.

Asesaton
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks for quick response, this worked. Thanks also for explaining about how macro language works. I didn't realize it was purely text processing

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation