BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
ShaheenRanalvi
Calcite | Level 5

Hi All,

Can we use SAS coding to generate forms that can be filled later?

If yes,how and under what topic,is it covered?

Thanks & Regards,

Shaheen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi,

And, in addition to using SAS/AF, there is a webAF solution that works on the BI Platform and allows you to build Java apps and applets in order to create data entry applications and have users fill out information. If you have the CGI (Common Gateway Interface)-based SAS/IntrNet, then you can use the htmSQL component to do something like query a file for the list of unique countries and then return those countries in an HTML form. When the use selects a country, the form action for the HTML form will then kick off a program of your choosing (usually using the broker.exe component of SAS/IntrNet).

In the BI Platform, you generally don't use HTML forms because the prompting interface allows the stored process author to define prompts that will be presented to the use in a manner that is appropriate for the client application they are using. So, in the Information Delivery Portal, the prompts are presented in a web form and in EG or the Add-in for Microsoft Office, the prompts appear in a popup dialog box both methods of obtaining prompt information are automatically configured because of the BI Platform infrastructure.

You asked for forms that could be generated and "filled later" -- I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you use SAS/AF or htmSQL, for example, the definition for how to build the form is written into the program, but as soon as someone invokes the program, the form is presented to them to fill out and execute. Are you thinking of something more like a PDF form, where the form sits on a server, but when the user accesses the form and fills it in, the data that's collected goes into a file? I believe Adobe has that technology available with their products (Create fillable PDF forms, Form Wizard | Adobe Acrobat X Pro).

cynthia

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
art297
Opal | Level 21

Not sure exactly what you are asking about, but one can use SAS/AF to create data entry forms.  Take a look at:

http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi24/Posters/p239-24.pdf

ShaheenRanalvi
Calcite | Level 5

Thank you Arthur.

Cynthia_sas
SAS Super FREQ

Hi,

And, in addition to using SAS/AF, there is a webAF solution that works on the BI Platform and allows you to build Java apps and applets in order to create data entry applications and have users fill out information. If you have the CGI (Common Gateway Interface)-based SAS/IntrNet, then you can use the htmSQL component to do something like query a file for the list of unique countries and then return those countries in an HTML form. When the use selects a country, the form action for the HTML form will then kick off a program of your choosing (usually using the broker.exe component of SAS/IntrNet).

In the BI Platform, you generally don't use HTML forms because the prompting interface allows the stored process author to define prompts that will be presented to the use in a manner that is appropriate for the client application they are using. So, in the Information Delivery Portal, the prompts are presented in a web form and in EG or the Add-in for Microsoft Office, the prompts appear in a popup dialog box both methods of obtaining prompt information are automatically configured because of the BI Platform infrastructure.

You asked for forms that could be generated and "filled later" -- I'm not sure what you mean by that. If you use SAS/AF or htmSQL, for example, the definition for how to build the form is written into the program, but as soon as someone invokes the program, the form is presented to them to fill out and execute. Are you thinking of something more like a PDF form, where the form sits on a server, but when the user accesses the form and fills it in, the data that's collected goes into a file? I believe Adobe has that technology available with their products (Create fillable PDF forms, Form Wizard | Adobe Acrobat X Pro).

cynthia

ShaheenRanalvi
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the guidance Cynthia Smiley Happy

SGB
Obsidian | Level 7 SGB
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Shaheen

I have recently created custom HTML forms with prefilled values and blank values to be filled later using SAS EG stored process.

Let me know if you need any help with that!

SGB

ShaheenRanalvi
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks SGB. I'll definitely get in touch with you once i get a licensed SAS Enterprise guide.Kindly guide me then,i really need the how to's.

Regards,

Shaheen

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 4 in conversation