BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
e044800
Obsidian | Level 7

I need some clarification on the resolution of the very first macro variable in the %put statement.
%let b = 5;

%put ---> &&&&&b.&&b.  ==> &&5&b. ===> &55 ;

According to me it should resolved into &55 but i am getting &5555

Completly surprised by this.

Can anyone help me in understanding. I am using the SAS university edition to run this code.

Thanks

Lokesh

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
russt_sas
SAS Employee

I have confirmed from development that this is indeed a bug but due to backward compatiblity it cannot be fixed.  Changing how resolution occurs in the example given here could cause problems with existing code:

%let b = 5;

%put ---> &&&&&b.&&b.  ==> &&5&b. ===> &55 ;

If &55 is the desired result, then the easiest thing to say would be:

%let b =5;

%put ---> &&&b&b;

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
art297
Opal | Level 21

I, too, would have thought that it would resolve to &55

I've cross posted your question to another forum and, unless someone can provide an explanation (other than this being a bug) before I get a response, I'll let you know what I find out.

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

Quentin
Super User

I'm also surprised.  Turning on symbolgen doesn't help much:

20   %put ---> &&&&&b.&&b. ;
SYMBOLGEN:  && resolves to &.
SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable B resolves to 5
---> &5555

If you take away the trailing dot, which shouldn't be needed, you get a warning about &b55 not resolving:

23   %put ---> &&&&&b.&&b ;
WARNING: Apparent symbolic reference B55 not resolved.
---> &5&b55

Feels buggish to me. Thanks for posting to SAS-L, @art297

BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
Quentin
Super User

I tested a bit more.  Problem only seems to happen when the value of the macro variable is a number.

Below has symbolgen log, with my added annotations.

With a single letter, it looks good to me:

options symbolgen;
%let b=Q;
%put ---> &&&&&b.&&b. ;

10   %put ---> &&&&&b.&&b. ;

First Pass:
SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable B resolves to Q

After first pass, value is &&Q&b. 

Second pass:
SYMBOLGEN:  Macro variable B resolves to Q

After second pass, value is &QQ

Third pass:
WARNING: Apparent symbolic reference QQ not resolved.
---> &QQ

With a numeric value, it looks bad:

%let b=5;
%put ---> &&&&&b.&&b. ;

12   %put ---> &&&&&b.&&b. ;

First Pass:

After first pass, value is &&5&b.;

Second pass:

I assume after second pass, value is &55

No idea where this extra &B comes from:

No idea where a fourth five comes from:
---> &5555

Seems to only be a problem when value of the macro variable is numeric.  Both of the following work as I would expect:

58   options nosymbolgen;
59   %let b=5q;
60   %put ---> &&&&&b.&&b. ;
---> &5q5q
62   %let b=q5;
63   %put ---> &&&&&b.&&b. ;
WARNING: Apparent symbolic reference Q5Q5 not resolved.
---> &q5q5
BASUG is hosting free webinars Next up: Jane Eslinger presenting PROC REPORT and the ODS EXCEL destination on Mar 27 at noon ET. Register now at the Boston Area SAS Users Group event page: https://www.basug.org/events.
art297
Opal | Level 21

@ChrisHemedinger: I think we need one of the developer's input on this one. Finally, after 43 years of looking, I think this one might actually be a bug.

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

I've alerted some internal SAS macro experts -- hopefully will have a ruling soon!

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Quentin
Super User

@Tom pointed out in SAS-L thread that values that look like hexadecimal numbers get doubled:

So:

79   %let b=0A;
80   %put ---> &&&&&b.&&b. ;
---> &0A0A0A0A

But:

82   %let b=0Z;
83   %put ---> &&&&&b.&&b. ;
---> &0Z0Z

So yeah, looks like something funky happening when macro processor sees a 'numeric' value.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Until we get the answer on the buggy behaviour with the test string here is a solution to how to generate the expected value using a modification of the value.

To just get two copies of macro variable B next to each other you just need.

%put &b.&b;

If you don't mind introducing macro quoting then you could just quote the extra &.

%put %str(&)&b.&b;

Or you could double it up.

%put &&&b.&b;

But that will yield different result than the one with macro quoting if the value of &B.&B looks like a valid macro variable name.

russt_sas
SAS Employee

I have confirmed from development that this is indeed a bug but due to backward compatiblity it cannot be fixed.  Changing how resolution occurs in the example given here could cause problems with existing code:

%let b = 5;

%put ---> &&&&&b.&&b.  ==> &&5&b. ===> &55 ;

If &55 is the desired result, then the easiest thing to say would be:

%let b =5;

%put ---> &&&b&b;
Quentin
Super User

Thanks @russt_sas,

Can you provide any more information about how this bug works?  For example, what situations would trigger this bug?  What mistake is the word scanner or macro processor making?  I recognize this may be asking for a "peak behind the curtain," but sometimes understanding how the macro processor works in these odd scenarios can shed light on other situations.  And would be nice to know how to avoid this bug.

Perhaps this is worthy of writing up a TS note to document it?

Thanks again,

--Q.

russt_sas
SAS Employee

Quentin, 

All I can offer is, it has to do with the macro facility creating a new line of source track that it stacks on top of the old one with each pass. Things work fine when it is characters alone or alphanumeric because in those situations the token is treated differently, but when it is just numbers, the token gets classified as an integer and it follows a different path that has a bug in it.

Thanks,

Russ

Quentin
Super User

Thanks much @russt_sas, for taking the time to respond to posts here, and blog, and (most importanlty)  for all you do for the macro langauge!

e044800
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you so much for the help.

I will try to post some more example where it seems to be a bug.

Thanks again.

Lokesh

AKHILk
Calcite | Level 5
Great finding...

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 11 likes
  • 7 in conversation