BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
confused_saser
Obsidian | Level 7

I have a list of opioids that need to flag for. I need to flag for these opioids in the variable called MEDS which is a free form text variable.

There are about 40-50 opioids that I need to flag for.

My current solition is to do a simple prxmatch for each of the 40-50 opioids (not very efficient). For example:

data opioid_analysis;
	set medeval.opioid;

/*Opiod Flagging*/

if prxmatch("m/Butrans|Codeine|Dalmacol|Demerol\/pethidine|Dilaudid|Dimetapp-C|Dimethane|Duragesic|Hycodan|Hydromorph Contin|Kadian|Lenoltec|Methadone|Methoxacet/oi", MED_REC_PMED1)> 0 then opioid = 1;
	else opioid=0;
run;

I'm wondering how others might tackle this problem?

None of the opioids have anything really in common in the string name. Is there a better way to ensure that I capture all the opioids? A more efficient way rather than having to spell out all the opioids like this?

thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

Here's an expansion of what I think @Ksharp's array suggestion may have been getting at.

data want;
   set medval.opioid;
   array drugs {4} $ 40 _temporary_ ('Butrans' 'Codeine' 'Dalmacol' 'Demerol');
   do i = 1 to dim (drugs);
      opioid = Findw(MED_REC_PMED1,drugs[i],'I')>0;
      if opioid = 1 then leave; /* stops  searching a the first one found*/
   end;
run;

This demonstrates searching for 4 values, to use more the index on the array {4} would have to match the number of drugs searched, and enter each drug inside the () following the pattern. The 40 is to set the length of character values if the maximum length of any name is greater then increase, or reduce as seems likely.

If you want to know which is found you could add:

(before the Do loop)

length Found $ 40;  Number here should match the array element size.

Inside the do loop:

Found = drugs[i];

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Ksharp
Super User

1) Hash Table

2)PROC FORMAT

3) Array:

data x;

array x{50} $ 40 ('xx' 'yy' .....);

flag=( name in x);

confused_saser
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks @Ksharp I think this might be a littel over my head as I don't really understand your answer.

Does anyone else have any other ideas or can elaborate on the answer a bit so I can understand.

ballardw
Super User

Here's an expansion of what I think @Ksharp's array suggestion may have been getting at.

data want;
   set medval.opioid;
   array drugs {4} $ 40 _temporary_ ('Butrans' 'Codeine' 'Dalmacol' 'Demerol');
   do i = 1 to dim (drugs);
      opioid = Findw(MED_REC_PMED1,drugs[i],'I')>0;
      if opioid = 1 then leave; /* stops  searching a the first one found*/
   end;
run;

This demonstrates searching for 4 values, to use more the index on the array {4} would have to match the number of drugs searched, and enter each drug inside the () following the pattern. The 40 is to set the length of character values if the maximum length of any name is greater then increase, or reduce as seems likely.

If you want to know which is found you could add:

(before the Do loop)

length Found $ 40;  Number here should match the array element size.

Inside the do loop:

Found = drugs[i];

confused_saser
Obsidian | Level 7

thanks @ballardw! that helps me understand. I'll have to do a bit more research!

Ksharp
Super User
If you don't have a big table, you also could try SQL.

data key;
input k $20.;
cards;
Butrans
Codeine
Dalmacol
Demerol
;
run;

data have;
input id $20.;
cards;
BBButrans
Ceine
Dcol
Demerolll
;
run;
proc sql;
select *,case when exists(select * from have,key 
where id=a.id and upcase(id) contains strip(upcase(k))) then 1 
else 0 end as opioid
 from have as a;
quit;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation