BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Bhuvaneswari
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

Hope you all had a good weekend.

This question is similar to the one I posted last week but I ned help in making the code more robust.

Could you please help in extracting sentences that had a word in several forms?

Say all sentences with different forms of word 'experience'?  like experience, ExperiEnce-based, Experienced, Experiencing and so on? Can we get the desired results using regex coding?

Here is the link to the question

https://communities.sas.com/t5/General-SAS-Programming/Extra-a-sentence-in-a-string-that-has-a-speci...

Thanks a lot, appreciate the help!

Regards,

Bhuvana

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

It looks like you already have code to pick out one sentence at a time.  The easy way to make the code more robust would be to use the FIND function:

if find(sentence, 'experience', 'i') > 0 then ...

While you could use INDEX instead of FIND, the advantage of FIND is that you can add the "i" modifier to ignore differences in case.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Astounding
PROC Star

It looks like you already have code to pick out one sentence at a time.  The easy way to make the code more robust would be to use the FIND function:

if find(sentence, 'experience', 'i') > 0 then ...

While you could use INDEX instead of FIND, the advantage of FIND is that you can add the "i" modifier to ignore differences in case.

Bhuvaneswari
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello,

Thanks for the response, I used that but it is not picking sentences that either have hyphen like 'experince-based'.

For instance, the code below is not picking the first sentence 

data example;
comment ="The worst experience-based I've ever had with them. The worst service in a decade. Because of this experience I will not be recommending this gym." ;
length extract sentence $200.;
do i = 1 to countw(comment,'.');
sentence = scan(comment,i,'.');
if findw( sentence,'Experience',' .,/','i')>0 then do;
extract= catx(' ',extract,catt(sentence,'.')) ;

end;
end;
drop sentence i;
run;

Please advice on how to proceed further. The data I'm working on is not so well written hence I want the code to extract the words that are somewhere in the middle of the strings even if there is no space, say 'CauseExperience-Based' and so on.

Thanks a lot!

Astounding
PROC Star

Don't switch to FINDW.  Use FIND.  It will find the characters, not the word.

Bhuvaneswari
Obsidian | Level 7

Switching to find() intead of findw() is returing a null string. Please advice.

Astounding
PROC Star

You'll have to show what you actually did here.  (For example, it might be that the third parameter to FIND must be removed, the way it appears in my original post.)

Bhuvaneswari
Obsidian | Level 7

That worked! thanks a ton :). Can you please tell me how the find() could pick only the sentence that has the word in it without expliciply mentioning the delimiter? What if I want to change the delimiter to somthing other than period?

Thanks again for the assistance!

Astounding
PROC Star

With FIND, there are no delimiters.  It is looking for that sequence of characters anywhere in the sentence.  With a long word like "experience" that shouldn't cause any issues. 

Bhuvaneswari
Obsidian | Level 7

Thanks for the help! Have a good day!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation