Extract a sentence containing a keyword

Accepted Solution Solved
Regular Contributor
Accepted Solution

Extract a sentence containing a keyword

Dear All:

Just wondering how to extract a whole sentence out of a cell like the following when I only want to the sentence containing "expects" and "anticipates"?  In the following case, I only want the sentence "For the full 2014 year, the company expects to spend less than an aggregate of $1.0 million on maintenance capital expenditures and expansion capital expenditures."

Adjusted EBITDA attributable to partners was $8,537,000. Capital expenditures were $83,000 against $590,000 a year ago. Distributable cash flow attributable to partners was $8,342,000.

For the full 2014 year, the company expects to spend less than an aggregate of $1.0 million on maintenance capital expenditures and expansion capital expenditures.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎08-19-2014 11:21 AM
Super User

Re: Extract a sentence containing a keyword

Posted in reply to caveman529

What does your real data look like ?

data have;
text='Adjusted EBITDA attributable to partners was $8,537,000. Capital expenditures were $83,000 against $590,000 a year ago. Distributable cash flow attributable to partners was $8,342,000. 
For the full 2014 year, the company expects to spend less than an aggregate of $1.0 million on maintenance capital expenditures and expansion capital expenditures.';
run;

data want;
 set have;
 pid=prxparse('/([^\.]|\.(?=\d))+\./o');
 start=1;stop=length(text);
 call prxnext(pid,start,stop,text,p,l);
 do while(p>0);
  found=substr(text,p,l);
  if find(found,'expects','i') then output;
 end;
run;

Xia Keshan

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎08-19-2014 11:21 AM
Super User

What does your real data look like ?

data have;
text='Adjusted EBITDA attributable to partners was $8,537,000. Capital expenditures were $83,000 against $590,000 a year ago. Distributable cash flow attributable to partners was $8,342,000. 
For the full 2014 year, the company expects to spend less than an aggregate of $1.0 million on maintenance capital expenditures and expansion capital expenditures.';
run;

data want;
 set have;
 pid=prxparse('/([^\.]|\.(?=\d))+\./o');
 start=1;stop=length(text);
 do while(p>0);
  found=substr(text,p,l);
  if find(found,'expects','i') then output;
 end;
run;

Xia Keshan

Regular Contributor

Hi, Ksharp:

Many thanks for your example.  I'll see if I can further develop based on that -

I was hoping to use SAS to make text mining a bit easier.   I have a variable called "text" that contains a lot of paragraphs.  But from the example you gave, regular expression is unavoidable. 

I have a list of hit words like "expect" "anticipate" "forecast".  When these keywords is present, I want to extract the sentence containing them for further processing. 

Is the SAS text miner more efficient on this matter?  

Super User

I don't know . I have never use SAS text miner yet.  and with my SAS skill, I think I don't need SAS text miner which would cost me lots of money . Just Kidding.  Smiley Happy

Xia Keshan

Regular Contributor

Seems like all I need to do is invest in the perl in SAS.  Thanks, Ksharp.  This works great!

Trusted Advisor

Hi,

Your required sentence contains only expects but condition requires both "expects" and "anticipates".

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation