Export Column Names, Datatype, Size and # of Records to an Excel Sheet from sas7bdat / SAS file

Occasional Contributor

Export Column Names, Datatype, Size and # of Records to an Excel Sheet from sas7bdat / SAS file

I have a folder names samples and there are n number of SAS files... all i need to do is extract Column Names, Datatype, Size and # of Records and dump it into an excel spreadsheet.

The desired spreadseet is attached.

PS: I am new to the SAS world so please answer the code with explanation if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Rushabh Shah

Occasional Contributor

Re: Export Column Names, Datatype, Size and # of Records to an Excel Sheet from sas7bdat / SAS file

Use below Contents procedure to get Column Names, Datatype, Size etc from SAS file by giving library name.

Repeat this or write a macro to get all the librarie's SAS files info and collate to one single SAS file.

proc contents data=&inlib..&indata out=contdata;
run;

Export sas dataset contdata to an excel file using proc export.

Esteemed Advisor

Re: Export Column Names, Datatype, Size and # of Records to an Excel Sheet from sas7bdat / SAS file

For Base SAS libraries, SAS gathers this information automatically for you. Just look in the sashelp.vstable and sashelp.column views. No need for coding unless you wish to format a report on it.
Data never sleeps
Occasional Contributor

True, Thats also might be an option.
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation