BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ATChamberlain
Calcite | Level 5

Hi--

I am trying to upload an Excel dataset into SAS using the Import Wizard, but I only have 4 data source options available in the drop down menu when "Standard data source" is checked upon asking me what type of data I wish to import.  The options are: CSV, tab delimited, delimited and JMP.  I tried to find relevant posts on this issue, and checked to see what versions of SAS I am running and what versions of Office I am running.  From what I can tell, I have SAS 9.4 (executing on the X64_7PRO platform) and Microsoft Office 2010.  Additional notes when I open SAS say: "updated analytical products: SAS/STAT 14.3" and "additional host information: X64_7PRO WIN 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Workstation."  Not sure if any of that info is pertinent or helpful!

Any advice or strategies I should try would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Allison

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

Try:

proc product_status;run;

You need:

For SAS/ACCESS Interface to PC Files to work with Excel files.

ATChamberlain
Calcite | Level 5

So when I run proc product_status; run; this is what I get:

X64_7PRO WIN 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Workstation

NOTE: SAS initialization used:
real time 1.04 seconds
cpu time 0.67 seconds

1 proc product_status;run;

For Base SAS Software ...
Custom version information: 9.4_M5
Image version information: 9.04.01M5P090617
For SAS/STAT ...
Custom version information: 14.3
For SAS/GRAPH ...
Custom version information: 9.4_M5
For High Performance Suite ...
Custom version information: 2.2_M6
NOTE: PROCEDURE PRODUCT_STATUS used (Total process time):
real time 0.02 seconds
cpu time 0.01 seconds

How can I tell from this output whether or not I have the SAS/ACCESS Interface?  I assume I don't have it if it doesn't state that?

If I indeed don't have that interface, is it possible to get it somehow?  Any suggestions on how to go about installing it?

Thanks,

Allison

Reeza
Super User

You talk to SAS about purchasing it and getting it installed. 

PROC SETINIT;RUN;

will show you what's licensed which can be different if you want to confirm. This would be the case if the installation was not done correctly.

ballardw
Super User

If you can't get the appropriate module licensed Save the excel file to a CSV using the File Save As menu.

Then import that file in the wizard. Click the option on the browse window get additional options for the import. You want to go there and set a large value for the Number of rows to guess, the number of lines in the file is best. This helps SAS set the lengths properly for columns that have different length text in them and to decide if a variable that has some values that look numeric need to be read as character.

If you are just starting with SAS you will find LOTS of issues with using Excel as a data interchange format. Search this form for Excel Import Problem or Error to see some examples.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation