Error spawning multiple processes on server (parallel processing)

Occasional Contributor

Error spawning multiple processes on server (parallel processing)

[ Edited ]

Hi,
I am trying to spawn multiple processes in a windows 2012R2 server. A simple version of the code I use is below, but I keep getting the error below. The same code on my personal computer works well, but not on the server for some reason. Thanks a lot in advance

This is what I do:
================================================================
OPTIONS SASCMD='sas -nosyntaxcheck' AUTOSIGNON;

rsubmit task1 wait=no ;
*** Putting Code For Task 1 here *****;
ENDRSUBMIT;

rsubmit task2 wait=no ;
**** Putting Code For Task 2 here *****;
ENDRSUBMIT;

waitfor _all_ task1 task2 ;

signoff _all_;

==========================
NOTE: Remote signon to TASK1 commencing (SAS Release 9.04.01M2P072314).
ERROR: A communication subsystem partner link setup request failure has occurred.
ERROR: SAS did not start properly. Please ensure that your sascmd value does not attempt to run SAS in the background.

Esteemed Advisor

Re: Error spawning multiple processes on server (parallel processing)

You do not specify any particulars for the connection (server name, connection method, CONNECT script file). This forces SAS to use default values, which I guess are not working in bringing up a CONNECT partner process.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Occasional Contributor

I am executing my code directly into SAS interface by remotely logging in the computer (server) and running this piece of code. Do I still need to connect to it? I don't see why (or how to do it). Thanks in advance
Esteemed Advisor

How do you run SAS on the server?

• DMS/Base SAS
  • EG/DI Studio using a WorkSpace Server...? If yes, authentication method?

It could be a Windows user rights issue.

Data never sleeps
Occasional Contributor

I run my code directly into SAS interface by remotely logging in the computer (server) and running this piece of code. Why do I need to connect to it? Thanks!
Esteemed Advisor

RSUBMIT is part of SAS/CONNECT, meaning "remote submit". In order to work, it needs a "server" process to which it is connected. That server process should be automatically started (because of the AUTOSIGNON option) when the first RSUBMIT is encountered.

SAS/CONNECT is designed to remotely log on to a computer via the telnet protocol and, once logon has been established, start a SAS process from the commandline with parameters that tell it is the "server" part of a SAS/CONNECT connection. The particulars of logon and SAS commandline are usually taken from a script file like tcpunix.scr (which handles logons to UNIX servers and starting SAS there).

So, before youn start using SAS/CONNECT to work with multiple SAS process, I advise you to read up on the relevant documentation, so you have a basic grasp of what the code is trying to do.

IMO your problem comes from the fact that you try to use CONNECT in a different environment without adjusting the setup there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation