Error of compatibility

Occasional Contributor

Error of compatibility

HI,

I created and loaded SAS table under sas data integration 4.8 (sas version 9.4). when i use this table under sas data integration (4.2) (sas version 9.2), i have an error of compatibility.

how to convert sas table 9.4 to 9.2?

thank you

Super User

Re: Error of compatibility

PROC CPORT from 9.4 and CIMPORT into 9.2 should fix your problem - check the documentation. There are other options, but it depends if your two SAS versions run under the same operating system or not.

Valued Guide

I can only think of extended attributes

Has anything else been introduced between 9.2 and 9.4 that might make a sas dataset incompatable?

Valued Guide

Cport / cimport do not work when going to a previous version. Moving and Accessing SAS(R) 9.4 Files, Second Edition (disadvantage)

A SAS dataset can be copied to the system having an older version using CEDA. But it will be a foreign format. A foreign format is implying compatibility issues as not all functionality is available.

Converting a SAS dataset to native format is often not more as copying it to an other destination using the current local SAS version. 
There are enhanced features with SAS 9.4 that will make a regression impossible. An example is the 2Gb recordcount limit (32-bit) to a 64-bit counter.

As you are making a statement on DI  4.8 and  DI 4.2 that is SAS metadata related. Also here the metadata-content can be migrated from 4.2 to 4.8 (export import) but the other way around 4.8 to 4.2 can be impossible because of new features being used. As DI is an development tool for developers only it does not really make sense to have different  DI versions being supported. The resulting code is deployed as runnable artifact the metadata should be archived like an original source object. Think in cobol-source (DI) and the complied executable result (sas-code).   

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Super User

Or you could try to use v7 engine to create a lower version dataset . to see if it was OK .

libname x v7 'c:\temp';

data x.class;

set sashelp.class;

run;

Xia Keshan

Valued Guide

Xia every even small difference of the running current version will make a sas dataset foreign.  Using Foreign dataset is coming with limitations.  (like human languages/culture).

Moving and Accessing SAS(R) 9.4 Files, Second Edition (Ceda)

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 5 in conversation