Entering covariates into a linear regression model.

Accepted Solution Solved
New Contributor
Accepted Solution

Entering covariates into a linear regression model.

I have a SAS related question --

I am running a simple linear regression, with three different groups of participants as the predictors (with group 1 as the reference), the outcome a continuous social support variable, and five covariates. Three of the covariates are dichotomized (age, sex, & education), one is a three-level nominal variable (marital status), and the last is continuous (it's a chronic disease index). My question is: do I need to specify the different types of covariates in the SAS coding somehow?

Would this coding example be correct?:

proc glm data=work.example;

class group age sex education marital education chronic_diseases;

model social_support = group age sex education marital education chronic_diseases;

estimate 'group 1 vs group 2' group -1 1 0;

estimate 'group 1 vs group 3' group -1 0 1;

run;

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎05-25-2016 11:47 PM
Respected Advisor

Re: Entering covariates into a linear regression model.

How many values does chronic_diseases index take? By putting it in the class statement, you are estimating a parameter for each value of the index. If instead you want to establish a linear relationship between social_support and chronic_diseases (and thus estimate a single parameter for that effect) then take chronic_diseases off the class variables list.

You will probably also want to investigate the possibility of interactions between your predictors. For example marital*sex would test if marital has the same effect for both sexes.

PG

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎05-25-2016 11:47 PM
Respected Advisor

How many values does chronic_diseases index take? By putting it in the class statement, you are estimating a parameter for each value of the index. If instead you want to establish a linear relationship between social_support and chronic_diseases (and thus estimate a single parameter for that effect) then take chronic_diseases off the class variables list.

You will probably also want to investigate the possibility of interactions between your predictors. For example marital*sex would test if marital has the same effect for both sexes.

PG
New Contributor

There are 34 items on the chronic disease index. So, in other words, the class statement is only for categorical covariates?

Respected Advisor

That's right! Or for a continuous variable with few distinct values that you want to treat as categorical.

PG
New Contributor

Thanks!

☑ This topic is SOLVED.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation