Documented Complex SAS Projects

New User

Documented Complex SAS Projects

Dis any of you had use UML to document complex SAS projects? How are you documented the purpose of the projects and their changes? I am thinking that using UML to keep the bussiness rules that drive the project is a good way but I am new to SAS. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Super User

Re: Documented Complex SAS Projects

With complex SAS projects I've found that custom documentation works well. Text documents, flow charts, diagrams, spreadsheets, internal program comments, project management/version control tools all play an important part. I've never found any use for UML. Plain English works best for me.   

Super User

I think that uml and other business modelling approaches can play a important part when documenting and agree on requirements and business rules.
But once the the solution is implemented, too detail models of this kind tend to not being updated. So in my opinion they maybe useful when documenting a while system, not single jobs/programs.
Data never sleeps
Regular Learner

Thanks for your replay. I will start to experiment with an hibrid between UML and Procedures. I might find what is missing regarding the formalization of documentation in SAS. I said that because with complex projects and its improvements it is not easy to keep up evethough the first "version" is implemented. Some improves can come up a year later and the person that perfromed the original SAS program no longer available. I will keep updates on the use of UML on docuemnting SAS complex programs.  

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation