BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Andygray
Quartz | Level 8

Hi, I am finding it difficult to understand "how and when" the while or until expression is evaluated or checked in a iterative do loop statement. The documentation says something the optional while or until only evaluates when the index variable value happens to be the last item or something like that and in another google search I found either the index or the expression whichever comes first.

do index-variable= start to stop by increment while(expression) or until(expression);

Can someone please clarify my understanding. Thanks

1 REPLY 1
MadhuKorni
Quartz | Level 8

The main difference between while and until is

In while : the loop stops iterating when the condition is false

In until : the loop stops iterating when the condition is true.

For example : you want to display 5 consecutive numbers.

data Sample;

i = 1; 

do while (i <= 5);

output;

i+1;

end;

output;

run;

In the above program we are initializing a value (1) to the variable i. So i = 1.

now the do loop starts.

checks the condition i <= 5 i.e 1 <=5 .

the condition is true.

1.now it enters the loop and executes the statements.

2.first it puts the value of i to the dataset and then the value of i will be incremented.

now the value of i is 2.

it goes to the top of the loop and again checks the condition i<=5 i.e i<=2

the condition is true. so step 1 and 2 are executed and now the value of i becomes 3

it goes to the top of the loop and again checks the condition i<=5 i.e i<=3

the condition is true. so step 1 and 2 are executed and now the value of i becomes 4

it goes to the top of the loop and again checks the condition i<=5 i.e i<=4

the condition is true. so step 1 and 2 are executed and now the value of i becomes 5

it goes to the top of the loop and again checks the condition i<=5 i.e i<=5

the condition is true. so step 1 and 2 are executed and now the value of i becomes 6

it goes to the top of the loop and again checks the condition i<=5 i.e i<=6... the condition is false so it comes out of the loop and then executes the remaining statements after end.

The next statement is output.

Now again the value of i is inserted to the Dataset.

After terminating from the do loop the value of i is 6. So 6 will be inserted in the dataset.

If we dont insert the output statement after the do loop then only 5 observation will be there in the dataset.

So the while loop executes until the condition is false.

In the same way until executes until the condion is true.

The only change in the code is in the condition

for while :

do while (i<=5);       ------------ Loop will be iterated until the value is less than or equal to 5

----;

end;

for until :

do until(i>5);           ------------ Loop will be iterated until the value is greater than 5

-----;

end;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation