Discriminant analysis vs Other predictive models

New Contributor

Discriminant analysis vs Other predictive models

Hi all,

This is part 2 of my question related to discriminant analysis and predictive modelling.

This is the topic i am looking at http://www.kaggle.com/c/forest-cover-type-prediction/

1) For this particular Topic, i wanted to use Discriminant analysis for prediction. What is the advantage or Disadvantage of using DA vs Decision Trees or ordinal logistic regression in this case? i am using SAS EM and i just wanted to get your views on this.

2) The Topic on Kaggle lists variables used within the dataset.

I am trying to understand the importance of these variables in this context. Horizontal_Distance_To_Hydrology - Horz Dist to nearest surface water features Vertical_Distance_To_Hydrology - Vert Dist to nearest surface water features Horizontal_Distance_To_Roadways - Horz Dist to nearest roadway Hillshade_9am (0 to 255 index) - Hillshade index at 9am, summer solstice Hillshade_Noon (0 to 255 index) - Hillshade index at noon, summer solstice Hillshade_3pm (0 to 255 index) - Hillshade index at 3pm, summer solstice Horizontal_Distance_To_Fire_Points - Horz Dist to nearest wildfire ignition point

I am interested to know how the thought process works while selecting a technique in predective modelling.

Thanks,

Sachi

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation