Differentiation

Contributor

Differentiation

Hello all;

How can i find the nth derivative of an function?

for example:      dn/dxn (exp(-x)*x^3)      (for n=2)

SAS Super FREQ

Re: Differentiation

The NLPFDD function in SAS/IML software computes the finite difference approximation of first and second derivatives for vector-values function (or scalar-valued, as you have here).

SAS/IML(R) 13.1 User's Guide

Here's an example: Optimizing? Two hints for specifying derivatives - The DO Loop

Also, if you have a time series with evenly spaced time points, you can use the DIF function in SAS/IML software or in the DATA step. See

The DIF function: Compute lagged differences and finite differences - The DO Loop

Contributor

How i can find the 10th derivative ?

SAS Super FREQ

Foryour function you can find the 10th derivative analytically by repeated application of the product and chain rule. Tenth derivatives do not often arise in numerical computations.

Contributor

Is there any example for application of the product and chain rule?

SAS Super FREQ

Have you taken calculus? These are just the names of the usual rules for differentiation. For example, see your calculus book or see Product rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and Chain rule - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Contributor

I mean how can i apply the product and chain rule in SAS???

SAS Super FREQ

SAS does not have a procedure that outputs symbolic derivatives.  You will have to do it by hand or use a symbolic algebra package such as Mathematica, Maple, or Maxima.

Contributor

Ok

thank you so much

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation