BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
T1Nukes
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Everyone,

My Institution uses SAS EG for a lot of its processes however recently my team has been asked to run a project on SAS DI. Having never used SAS DI i was hoping to get some advice from those more knowledgeable.

• What are the advantages of SAS DI over EG?
  • Is there any significant coding differences between the two?
  • Is it possible to convert SAS DI code to SAS EG and is it worth it?

I'd love to hear your opinions and anecdotes.

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3
jakarman
Barite | Level 11

Eguide is a coding environment in a more classical way. There are helpers to generate code like query builder, but it is code based.

The concept of DI is quite different it is not code based instead it is metadata based. With the relations of metadata (records/fields) wiht the transformations pattersn jobs are generated. The jobs are seen as SAS - code.

There you the difference. Where code/tasks is the object you are working on wiht Eguide wiht DI it are the results of that generation as like the SAS-metadata is your source-code and the relulting sas-code is the executable.

---->-- ja karman --<-----
MichelleHomes
Meteorite | Level 14
Hi,

I wrote a blog post a little while ago on my perspective on the difference. As Jaap mentions, it is metadata driven.

Hope it helps: http://bi-notes.com/2013/11/sas-enterprise-guide-difference-sas-di-studio/

Kind Regards,
Michelle
//Contact me to learn how Metacoda software can help keep your SAS platform secure - https://www.metacoda.com
Alessandro
Fluorite | Level 6

I think what is more importat is to define if the information that will be used is on enterprise source or a local or stand-alone source.
If you need to build process that will read shared information on a enterprise repository I recommend DI.

I can to say that Guide is very useful for lab experiments, to generate short reports or short process for atend of temporal needs rather, use DI for robust processes, that will use information from enterprise source, will extract them and will transform them for put on another enterprise reporistory.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation