Dictionary Tables (Determine LIBNAME Description)

Occasional Contributor

Dictionary Tables (Determine LIBNAME Description)

Using the dictionary tables is there a variable that includes the values for the descriptions assigned to a specific library?

For example in EG if I right click the “SASHELP” library in the explorer I can see that the description is blank. I am looking for a way to collect all of these descriptions.

My fall back is to use ODS select on a proc contents but there must be a cleaner way to do this.

Thanks

Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

Re: Dictionary Tables (Determine LIBNAME Description)

Hi,

Could you clarify what you see and where.  I don't use EG, in my SAS I right click on SASHELP and see the two items:

Library name = Sashelp

Library path = ...

These are the only two options associated with a libname?  Do you mean a dataset, then you probably want SASHELP.VTABLE (or dictionary.tables, same thing but for SQL).

Occasional Contributor

thanks, i do not mean a dataset. This question is specific to EG

Esteemed Advisor

These descriptions reside in SAS metadata. You will need to use the metadata interface functions to retrieve them.

Libraries that have not been assigned based on metadata will not have a description.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Maxims of Maximally Efficient SAS Programmers
Respected Advisor

To add to @KurtBremser's post, these descriptions are added manually in SAS Management console to data libraries set up under Data Library Manager. Adding a description is optional and its accuracy is totally dependent on whoever enters it. If a description is not entered it will show as blank in EG.  

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation