BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
BCNAV
Quartz | Level 8

If I have a date variable (DATE_UTC), I need to create a variable that has the number of days in the year. Obviously this will be 365 most of the time, but for data normalization I need to know when it is 366 for leap year. This is probably easy, I tried to work from the number of days in a month:

day(intnx('month',t1.DATE_UTC,0,'end'))

But couldn't figure anything out. Is there a way to get the number of days in a year given a date?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

My preference:

days_in_year = 1 + intnx('year', date_utc, 0, 'end') - intnx('year', date_utc, 0, 'begin');

*********EDITED:  Hold off on this one.  I'm getting strange results when I test it.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Reeza
Super User

Get the year from the date

Check if last day in February is 28 or 29, if it's 29 it's a leap year and 365 days. 

If it's not a leap year it's 366 days.

You can also use the fact that if you take the mod(year, 4) and it's 0 it's a leap year otherwise it's not but there are exceptions to this rules so it depends on how you want to calculate it. 

data test;
date='31Jan2020'd;
*check if leap year;
last_day_feb = day(intnx('month', mdy(2, 1, year(date)), 0, 'e'));
if last_day_feb=28 then nDays=365;
else if last_day_feb=29 then nDays=366;
run;
Astounding
PROC Star

My preference:

days_in_year = 1 + intnx('year', date_utc, 0, 'end') - intnx('year', date_utc, 0, 'begin');

*********EDITED:  Hold off on this one.  I'm getting strange results when I test it.

BCNAV
Quartz | Level 8

@Astounding

What is weird?

Astounding
PROC Star

Here's a test program, producing inconsistent results.  For INTNX, calculation always yields 365.  For MDY, it (properly) can calculate either 365 or 366:

data _null_;

do year = 2010 to 2018;

days = 1 + intnx('year', "&sysdate9"d, 0, 'e') - intnx('year', "&sysdate9"d, 0, 'b');

begin = mdy(1, 1, year);

end = mdy(12, 31, year);

diff = end - begin + 1;

put year= days= begin= end= diff=;

end;

run;

I can't explain it!

EDITED: **************************** No problem.  I'm just using a constant date in INTNX instead of a date that varies by year.  The formula is fine.

Coffee anyone?

BCNAV
Quartz | Level 8

I have checked your post from 1900 to 21000 and it picks them all...so I am not sure of your check?

Astounding
PROC Star

The formula is fine. 

The test program is faulty.  Instead of using "&sysdate9"d I should have used a value that changes as YEAR changes.

art297
Opal | Level 21

You can also just subtract the beginning of year date from the end of year date. e.g.:

data have;
  informat date_utc date9.;
  input date_utc;
  days_in_year=intnx('year',DATE_UTC,0,'e')-intnx('year',DATE_UTC,0,'b')+1;
  cards;
5dec2018
3mar2016
;

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

novinosrin
Tourmaline | Level 20

similar with intck

data want;
date='02jan2016'd;
days=intck('days',intnx('year',date,0,'b'), intnx('year',date,0,'e'))+1;
run;
SuryaKiran
Meteorite | Level 14

Using the MOD function on a mathematical condition to find whether it's a leap year or not.

data test ;
date='21AUG2016'D;
If (mod(year(date),4)=0 and mod(year(date),100)^=0) or mod(year(date),400)=0 then Days=366;
else Days=365;
run;
Thanks,
Suryakiran
ballardw
Super User

@SuryaKiran

I also like MOD but coupled with the JULDATE function:

daysinyear= mod(juldate(intnx('year',date_utc,0,'e')),1000);

JULDATE returns a value like 18155 (year 2018, 155th day of the year).

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

That's clever. And if you are doing it in macro code you can use the JULDATE7. format.

%let year=2016 ;
%let days=%substr(%sysfunc(intnx(year,"01JAN&year"d,0,e),juldate7),5);
3724  %put &=year &=days;
YEAR=2016 DAYS=366

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 8 in conversation