Data set display

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Data set display

[ Edited ]

I am creating a data set (~ 2.5 mil recs)  by subsetting another data set (> 10 mil recs) using a data step. By default, SAS displays all 2.5 mil recs after the data step executes. Is there way to stop the automatic display ?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎12-08-2015 12:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Data set display

[ Edited ]

Yes you can.  It's part of the Options with your Results.  For SAS Enterprise Guide, you go to Tools->Options->Results (Results General)->Uncheck the box "Automatically open data or results when generated".  This will prevent SAS from opening up and displaying the data set that is created after running the code.

For Base SAS, go to Tools->Options->Preferences->Results Tab->Uncheck the box "View results as they are generated".  This will also prevent SAS from opening up and displaying the data set that is created.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎12-08-2015 12:54 PM
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes you can.  It's part of the Options with your Results.  For SAS Enterprise Guide, you go to Tools->Options->Results (Results General)->Uncheck the box "Automatically open data or results when generated".  This will prevent SAS from opening up and displaying the data set that is created after running the code.

For Base SAS, go to Tools->Options->Preferences->Results Tab->Uncheck the box "View results as they are generated".  This will also prevent SAS from opening up and displaying the data set that is created.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you. But I am working to setup a batch job and wondering if there is any option that suppresses the automatic output (similar to noprint option for proc sql)

Super User

Figure out what's generating the results and turn it off. By default SAS doesn't display the dataset as far as I know, except in SAS studio and EG, which don't support batch processing so I'm not sure what you're doing.

Look into ODS NORESULTS as well.
Frequent Contributor

As @Reeza mentioned, if you're running the program in batch mode and it's just a data step being run, SAS will not display the output.  It will just create the data set and then end the program.  Unless you have procedures in the program (which you can use the noprint option on many of them as you stated with the SQL procedure), it shouldn't produce any output.

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation