BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
GokulShivananda
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello All,

We work on BASE SAS on Unix server and from past two days the Data set is being damaged frequently. Few times it is recovered by repaire statement with the loss of few records and the rest of the times it would say cannot be repaired.

This usually happens during the SET statement or Proc append statement and this is not perticular to table.

Below are my observations.

1. The tables are of huge size.

2. We have a good SAS work memory allocated. But not sure about the utilization and configuration files which impacts.

This is highly impacting our business, would be really helpful if you give some analysis steps or solution.

Regards,

Gokul Shivananda

7 REPLIES 7
ballardw
Super User

What do your Logs look like?

Any warnings or errors other than the damage?

Have you run any disk diagnostics? You may have hardware getting ready to fail.

Are any of the affected data sets used by multiple users or programs at the same time?

GokulShivananda
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello Ballardw,

This is the error i got. No warnings, earlier.

MPRINT(_M_CREATE_CLAIM_CDS):   proc append base = APLEOPER.APL_OPR_CLM_DATA_AG data = WORK.F_OPR_CLM_DATA_EST force;
MPRINT(_M_CREATE_CLAIM_CDS):   run;

NOTE: Appending WORK.F_OPR_CLM_DATA_EST to APLEOPER.APL_OPR_CLM_DATA_AG.
ERROR: File APLEOPER.APL_OPR_CLM_DATA_AG.DATA is damaged. I/O processing did not complete.
NOTE: There were 33951 observations read from the data set WORK.F_OPR_CLM_DATA_EST.
NOTE: 33951 observations added.
NOTE: The data set APLEOPER.APL_OPR_CLM_DATA_AG has 926026 observations and 31 variables.
ERROR: File APLEOPER.APL_OPR_CLM_DATA_AG.DATA is damaged.
NOTE: Statements not processed because of errors noted above.
NOTE: PROCEDURE APPEND used (Total process time):
      real time           1.80 seconds

yes miltiple users use the same programme, but the table is used by one user.

i dont have idea about disk diagnostics. i shall reserch on this, please give inputs if you have any.

Thanks a lot.

Gokul Shivananda

GokulShivananda
Obsidian | Level 7

Please find the attachment, hope this may help in finding the cause.

Thankyou.

Regards,

Gokul Shivananda

Reeza
Super User

Talking to SAS Tech Support is a good idea. 

Datasets of less than a million rows are not huge by any means, is that the correct size for the datasets listed in the log? 

Check your network for issues. If your having connectivity issues you may be having issues creating and saving files. 

And/or you may have a virus/ransom ware. 

GokulShivananda
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello Guys,

Found the cause for this

proc append base = APLEOPER.APL_OPR_CLM_DATA_AG data = WORK.F_OPR_CLM_DATA_EST force;
run;

NOTE: Appending WORK.F_OPR_CLM_DATA_EST to APLEOPER.APL_OPR_CLM_DATA_AG.
ERROR: File APLEOPER.APL_OPR_CLM_DATA_AG.DATA is damaged. I/O processing did not complete

I just recreated Data table WORK.F_OPR_CLM_DATA_EST added the data. Now this works fine. i guess this was happening because data table WORK.F_OPR_CLM_DATA_EST might been corrupted.

Regards,

Gokul Shivananda

SASKiwi
PROC Star

In addition to @ballardw's valuable suggestions, talk to your server administrators and ask them to check the server event logs for any errors related to disks or IO controllers to help troubleshoot this problem. 

GokulShivananda
Obsidian | Level 7

Hello SASKiwi,

Sure i shall check on this and let you know.

Thanks a lot.

regards,

Gokul Shivananda

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation