BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
AMFR
Quartz | Level 8

Hello everyone,

Below is made up data, very similiar to data i am working on. This data is created by merging two files, one file with surgery time in and time out and second file has temperature data. And for my analysis i need temperature data for the date of surgery and afterwards. I donot need the pre-op data. Can some one please help me to do it. Only patient is character and else are numeric variables. Id variable is common variable in both files

Patient         id             surgery_in                  surgery_out                   date_temp                       temperature

123                 .                                      .                              4/5/2014                           37.0

123                .                                       .                              4/6/2014                           37.5

123                 .                                            .                        4/7/2014                           37.2

Mary           123        8APR14:07:12:00            8APR14:13:15:00          4/8/2014                           37.5

123                .                                             .                        4/9/2014                           37.2

123                .                                              .                      4/10/2014                         37.0

123                .                                              .                      4/11/2014                         37.1

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

Is the patient information ONLY on the record with the surgery date? If so how do we know when the data stops for that patient?

If you have patient data on every record this should work:

proc sort data=have;
   by patient datetemp;
run;

data want;
   set have;
   retain start;
   if first.patient then start=0;
   If not missing(surgery_in) then start=1;

If start=1;
   drop start;
run;

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
ballardw
Super User

Is the patient information ONLY on the record with the surgery date? If so how do we know when the data stops for that patient?

If you have patient data on every record this should work:

proc sort data=have;
   by patient datetemp;
run;

data want;
   set have;
   retain start;
   if first.patient then start=0;
   If not missing(surgery_in) then start=1;

If start=1;
   drop start;
run;
AMFR
Quartz | Level 8

Yes, i am sorry i forgot to mention this.

I have unique identifier for every patient in each row

AMFR
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks ballardw, your codes are doing the trick. I am very grateful.

AMFR
Quartz | Level 8

Hi ballardw,

If i am looking for the pre-op plus the day of surgery data (ignoring the post-op data), how can i do that?

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Post data in the form of a datastep, it helps describe structure and avoids us typing that in.  

Question 1, when you merge in the data, why is patient surgeryin/out on every record?  I mean how are we to know when Patient Mary's data ends and the next patient starts?  This is bad data modelling.  If you have the data on every row then something like this should work:

data want;
  set have;
  by patient;
  retain tosave;
  if first.patient then tosave=0;
  if surgery_in=date_temp then tosave=1;
  if tosave then output;
run;

This just sets a flag when it hits the point at which you want to output the data and then outputs from there onwards within each patient by group.  You could also reverse sort the data, so descending date, and output from start of each patient until dates match.

AMFR
Quartz | Level 8

We do have a unique identifier for every patient. I have updated my post.

AMFR
Quartz | Level 8

Thank you very much RW9. you guys are awesome.

DanielSantos
Barite | Level 11

Hi.

And for the sake of diversity, the SQL way (not tested but assuming SURGERY_IN is datetime value and DATE_TEMP is date value) :

proc sql noprint;
create table want as
select a.* from have as a,
(select distinct PATIENT, datepart(SURGERY_IN) as DATE_SURGERY from have) as b
where a.PATIENT eq b.PATIENT and a.DATE_TEMP ge b.DATE_SURGERY
order by a.DATE_TEMP; quit;

Daniel Santos @ www.cgd.pt

AMFR
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks Daniel for your reply

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation