Data file is in a format that is native to another host

Contributor

Data file is in a format that is native to another host

How can I troubleshoot this error message?

NOTE: Data file EGFR.REPATED_MEASUREMENTS.DATA is in a format that is native to another host,
or the file encoding does not match the session encoding. Cross Environment Data Access
will be used, which might require additional CPU resources and might reduce performance.

Attachment
Grand Advisor

Re: Data file is in a format that is native to another host

1) Could be the encoding of that sas table is different from your local sas session. You can change it like :

proc datasets library=work nodetails nolist;
modify have/ correctencoding='utf8';
quit;

2)Could be OS that sas table be generated is different from your local PC OS. You can change it like :

data have(outrep='linux_32');
 set sashelp.class;
run;
Contributor

Do I need to add either of these lines in the beginning of my SAS code?

Thank you 

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

It might be encoding but it could also be due to the architectural difference between machines. If eg. your dataset was created on AIX or hp-ux and then the .sas7bdat file was moved over to Windows or Linux you will see this. It is due to the different byte order of the processor between the native OS and the current one. Have a look at https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endianness.

My first step would be to investigate the lifespan of the dataset from creation to where it is now. In any case you will be able to reconstruct the table to a native shape by copying it as KSharp suggested. Hope it's not a large one.

Hope this helps,

- Jan.

SAS Super FREQ

Hi:
This is NOT an ERROR message. It is an informational note, telling you that the data set your using was created in a format that was native to another host operating system. SAS will still read the data. IF you experience performance issues (which may happen, but is not guaranteed to happen), then you might want to pursue "fixing" the dataset. But this is NOT an ERROR. SAS Errors start with ERROR: and are usually displayed in RED. Notes are informational, start with NOTE: and Warnings are more serious, and start with WARNING:

cynthia
Contributor

Thanks for the clarification!
Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation