Creating zip or gzip files on Unix servers and download from EG

Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Creating zip or gzip files on Unix servers and download from EG

Hello all-

I am looking for the simplest way to roll up a group of excel files everyday on an unix server (through EG) and then download them (and then delete).

Not sure if X commands or Systask is better.

The other obstacle I have is that in EG I can set the process flow to download the file. However I can't set dynamic capabilities

so  if I have file archive report_01232015.zip today and archive report_01242015.zip tomorrow  I can't get around EG's code that manages this process.

Unfortunately I don't have an FTP account so I can't grab it that way.

The only other solution is to download the file and then kick off a secondary local program to copy and rename zip file.

I'd rather avoid this if possible but the first question is more important.

Thanks

Lawrence

Community Manager

Re: Creating zip or gzip files on Unix servers and download from EG

For ZIPping files, see this article:

Reading and updating ZIP files with FILENAME ZIP - The SAS Dummy

For a method to download files from a remote server via SAS Enterprise Guide, check this custom task which has worked for many other SAS users:

There and back again: copying files in SAS Enterprise Guide - The SAS Dummy

Chris

Valued Guide

Are you asking to process those task zip/download to windows in a scheduled unattended way you are needing:

a/ a scheduler being active on Unix    Assuming your desktop is a closed one so EGuide Windows cannot be used.

b/ some service in the Windows domain being there to receive those files.

In my mind is coming a (s)FTP server or a SAS/Connect (Windows) server.

The use of IWA with Unix can be troublesome as the AD and LDAP are not that easy to be joined in bigger companies.

Yes the Samba product is exisiting and could do that. The problem is that by security reasons it is often eliminated.

c/ As you are mentioning a group of Zip-files containing Excel-datasets, you could also think of the PCfiles Server product.

That ones is part of the SAS/Acess to pcfiles license. When you are having that on Unix.....  

---->-- ja karman --<-----
Frequent Contributor

You can also use SAS IOM to transfer files.

The most convient way to do this would be to write a PowerShell script using Cmdlets4Sas

With the cmdlet Write-SasFile you can upload and with Read-SasFile you can download any file.

As it is a dynamic script you can use dynamic filenames or upload any existing file in a Windows folder for example.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation