BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Bruce123
Calcite | Level 5

Hello

I am new to the SAS programming world and was hoping someone could help me.

I want to create a new variable in SAS where I ask sas to take the values of variable "performance", but only between a specific time interval, between 31/12//2009 and 31/12/2010 and put this variable in a new column called performance2010. I do not want sas to sum or subract the values of the variable performance. I simply want it to create a new column where only the values of performance from 2010 are in it.

This is my code:

PROC SQL;

CREATE TABLE Performance AS

SELECT*

FROM Return

WHERE Performance = ToDate Where ToDate Between dmy(31, 12, 2009) and dmy(31, 12, 2010) AS Performance2010;

QUIT;

"ToDate" is my date variable and in my data is written by day-months-years

As you can see the second last line is incorrect, but I do not know how to write the last piece of code

Can somehelp me? I would really appreciate it

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DJM_SAS
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Bruce,

Assuming you're using the second of my two pieces of code, you can generate two extra variables by adding in new case statements like so:

PROC SQL;

CREATE TABLE Your_New_Table AS

SELECT *, 

CASE

WHEN ToDate BETWEEN dmy(31,12,2009) AND dmy(31,12,2010) THEN old_performance_variable

ELSE .

END AS new_performance_variable,

CASE

WHEN ToDate BETWEEN dmy(31,12,2010) AND dmy(31,12,2011) THEN old_performance_variable

ELSE .

END AS new_performance_variable2,

CASE

WHEN ToDate BETWEEN dmy(31,12,2011) AND dmy(31,12,2012) THEN old_performance_variable

ELSE .

END AS new_performance_variable3

FROM your_original_table;

QUIT;

Note: There's no comma after new_performance_variable3, but there is after 1 and 2.

Alternatively, if you want just one new variable, which includes information if any of those conditions are met and missing otherwise, you can extend out the original case clause like so:

PROC SQL;

SELECT *, 

CASE

WHEN ToDate BETWEEN dmy(31,12,2009) AND dmy(31,12,2010) THEN old_performance_variable

WHEN ToDate BETWEEN dmy(31,12,2010) AND dmy(31,12,2011) THEN old_performance_variable

WHEN ToDate BETWEEN dmy(31,12,2011) AND dmy(31,12,2012) THEN old_performance_variable

ELSE .

END AS new_performance_variable

QUIT;

I'm off to bed for the night, but if you were using the other code framework i prepared instead, it would require some boolean logic (AND and OR clauses with some bracketing) in the where statement.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Where is for filtering the whole result set, so it's probably not what you are looking for.

Take a look at CASE, which you could use in the Select statement.

Data never sleeps
DJM_SAS
Calcite | Level 5

Being a bit rusty on my date/time functions, and being unable to view your current data set, may I suggest the following.  I have taken the liberty of renaming the various keywords to better describe your case since the syntax was wrong in the example you gave.  Also, since you were ambiguous as to exactly how you'd like it, I've done it two ways:

/* If you really want to create a subset of the original table, do the following */

PROC SQL;

SELECT *,  old_performance_variable AS new_performance_variable

FROM your_original_table

WHERE ToDate Between dmy(31,12,2009) and dmy(31,12,2010);

QUIT;

/* If you really want to have the values be missing when performance is not between your two dates, do the following.

PROC SQL;

SELECT *, 

CASE

ELSE . /* have I forgotten how to do missing values nicely? */

QUIT;

Bruce123
Calcite | Level 5

Hello

Thanks that helped me a lot, and SAS is now completing the procedure.

But one more thing:

I also want to get two other date intervals. One fore 2011 (todate between dmy(31, 12, 2010) and dmy(31, 12 2011)) and 2012 (todate between dmy(31, 12, 2011) and dmy(31, 12, 2012).

Is it possible to do this with the same dataset and in the code-procedure.

I've tried this but Sas only takes one of the dateinterval e.g. it only takes 2011 instead of 2010 and 2011

Could you help out here aswell. I would really appreciate it

DJM_SAS
Calcite | Level 5

Hi Bruce,

Assuming you're using the second of my two pieces of code, you can generate two extra variables by adding in new case statements like so:

PROC SQL;

SELECT *, 

CASE

ELSE .

END AS new_performance_variable,

CASE

ELSE .

END AS new_performance_variable2,

CASE

ELSE .

END AS new_performance_variable3

QUIT;

Note: There's no comma after new_performance_variable3, but there is after 1 and 2.

Alternatively, if you want just one new variable, which includes information if any of those conditions are met and missing otherwise, you can extend out the original case clause like so:

PROC SQL;

SELECT *, 

CASE

ELSE .

QUIT;

I'm off to bed for the night, but if you were using the other code framework i prepared instead, it would require some boolean logic (AND and OR clauses with some bracketing) in the where statement.

Bruce123
Calcite | Level 5

Hello

Yes, I was using the second piece of your code.

Thanks very much for your help. You are my hero Smiley Happy

Good night Smiley Wink

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation