BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
I am trying to create a work table from teradata libname statement. The teradata table as Count(*) 5610421124 (5.6 Billion)
the sas dataset that gets produced only has 1.3 billion records. There is no error in the log. 
What could be the reason for records getting dropped? 
Below is the sas code data diagnosis (compress=yes); set pcordata.diagnosis; run; Error Message: no errors

12 REPLIES 12
kiranv_
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

5.6 billion records is massive amount of data to move from one system to another. Is there any special reason you are doing it.

Reeza
Super User

A data step is not the fastest method.

Since you have a libname set up, PROC COPY and/or PROC DATASETS is faster - it moves data in blocks since it doesn't expect things to change. In a data step you can add changes, but since you're not doing any of that here, it's faster to use PROC COPY. 

PROC COPY/DATASETS use the same process so it doesn't matter. 

Moving that amount of records takes time no matter what though.

@RupaJ wrote:
I am trying to create a work table from teradata libname statement. The teradata table as Count(*) 5610421124 (5.6 Billion)
the sas dataset that gets produced only has 1.3 billion records. There is no error in the log. 
What could be the reason for records getting dropped? 
Below is the sas code data diagnosis (compress=yes); set pcordata.diagnosis; run; Error Message: no errors

kiranv_
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

use  fastexport teradta utlility to bulk transfer the data. you can do it by using fastexport = yes in your teradata libname statement as shown below.

Libname tera Teradata user=myusr1 pw=mypwd1 FASTEXPORT=YES;
RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Thanks for the response!!

Will surely try the fastexport and proc copy. 

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Considering the likely size of such a long table, and supposing this data transfer is really necessary, I would strongly suggest copying to a binary-compressed SPDE library. Compression ratios are much higher than with the BASE or V9 engines.

For example:

libname DEST spde "path-string" compress=binary partsize=50g;

RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hello ChrisNZ,

Thanks for the response. We just have the base SAS engine. SPD is very interesting though. Probably can suggest moving to SPD during an upgrade. 

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

The SPDE engine is part of SAS Base.

Use it and marvel at all you've missed.

Go
Quartz | Level 8 Go
Quartz | Level 8

What are all the features of SPDS, I mean what are the best use cases to opt for SPD ? does it make proc sort faster ?

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

SPDE, not SPDS. The latter is a full storage and processing platform.

Yes sorts can be faster if they are not memory-bound, since significantly fewer I/Os are needed for a compressed SPDE table.

RupaJ
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Yes. Figured that :-). So with fastexport it took 10 hours and with SPDE it took 6 hours. Here is my libname stmt. 

libname allus spde '/SAS_Work' compress=binary partsize=50g;

Can we make it run any faster?

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

> So with fastexport it took 10 hours and with SPDE it took 6 hours. Here is my libname stmt. 

You should use both. 

fastexport deals with the teradata side and spde with the sas side.

You need to identify where the bottleneck is before you continue this investigation. Also look at the network.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

If you are disk I/O bound then you can tell SPDE engine to spread the partitions across multiple physical disks by giving it more paths to use.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 like
  • 6 in conversation