BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Loes
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I'm trying to expand the data that I have for the weeks that are missing. I have weekly data and the number of purchases in a certain week. Now I want to create an observation for the weeks that are missing as the number of purchases in those weeks are 0. The data looks like the following (except I have way less missing weeks):

Year    Week Num_purch

2008    1    10
2008    3    4
2008    10   5
2008    21   10
2008    22   3 
2016    51   10 

What I want is then:

Year    Week    Num_purch

2008    1       10
2008    2       0
2008    3       4
2008    4       0
2008    5       0
2008    6       0
etc.

Also, my data contains several years from 2008 to 2016.

I have no clue where to start. I think with a proc expand. Also don't know how to google on this problem, do not seem to find the same problem.

Oh, forgot to mention, I have this not one time, but for 200 different ID codes in one time.

Thanks!

5 REPLIES 5
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Lag an retain.  For example, and this is just pseudocode as you have not provided test data in the form of a datastep:

data want;
  set have;
  if lag(year)=year and lag(week) ne week then do;
    do new_week=lag(week) to week;
      output;
    end;
  end;
run;
Astounding
PROC Star

While there are several hard ways to make this happen, an easy way is to create your own shell with all the weeks and years.  For example:

data shell;

num_purch=0;

do year = 2008 to 2016;

do week = 1 to 52;

output;

end;

end;

run;

Then you can merge with the data that you have.  Mention SHELL first, so values that you have overwrite the zeros:

data want;

merge shell have;

by year week;

run;

**************** EDITED:

GIven that you have many ID codes, I will assume the data set you have is sorted by ID:

data shell;

set have (keep=ID);

by ID;

if last.ID;

num_purch=0;

do year = 2008 to 2016;

do week = 1 to 52;

output;

end;

end;

run;

Then you can merge with the data that you have.  Mention SHELL first, so values that you have overwrite the zeros:

data want;

merge shell have;

by ID year week;

run;

Perhaps another way will turn out to be simpler, but this is at least a reasonable, clear way to do it.

Loes
Calcite | Level 5

This would probably work when I have to do it only one time. But (my fault forgot to mention) I have the same stituation for many many different ID codes. I try to make it work on 200 different ID codes, but later it has to be even more upscaled.

Loes
Calcite | Level 5
Thank you! This works for now. Although I deleted the num_purch=0, and after merging changed the missing values to 0. That seems to work better in my case 😉 .
Ksharp
Super User
data have;
input Year    Week Num_purch;
cards;
2008    1    10
2008    3    4
2008    10   5
2008    21   10
2008    22   3 
;
run;
data want;
 merge have have(keep=year week rename=(year=_year week=_week) firstobs=2);
 output;
 if year=_year then do;
  do i=week+1 to _week-1;
   week=i;Num_purch=0;output;
  end;
 end;
 drop _: i;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation